MBP being sent to applecare, will they fix it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paul2241, Jan 30, 2009.

1. paul2241 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I posted a few days ago, about my sleep problem. The day of my appointment I noticed a weird spot on my screen that wasn't there before. I figured I'd show it to the Genius, and see what they had to say. I have a year and a half of applecare left, and I know everybody says this, but I really baby my mpb, I always have it in a sleeve in a messenger bag, I've never dropped it. I will put what the genius wrote ony my work auth. He said there's a really good chance it will be fixed under warranty, but I'm sure they say that to everyone. This is what was written. " Condition: Some minor scratches and dents, some located on the ram door and minor compression above the optical drive and right hand speaker grill." "Resolution: test computer throughly for sleep/wake issues, Replace display due to piexl anomaly." This is my first issue with applecare, and I'm curious what everyone thinks will be the outcome.

Thanks

2. svndmvn Guest

It depends on the dents, both issues can be due to impacts.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I think they'll decide if the screen damage was caused by an impact, and if so probably wont fix anything, however if they decide its just an anomoly they'll replace it. They will also search for the sleep issues but I have to say sleep issues are usally caused by faulty/malfunctioning RAM,(not always, but mostly) so if you have an impact on the RAM door that doesnt look good. They wont do anything about any dents however.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Usually depot's repairs are less likely to argue with the customer because they can't make assumptions. If you say you didn't drop it, they can't really tell you it definitely was dropped unless it can be proven (big dents on the display, etc.).

5. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

How'd you get so many dents when you "really baby" your mbp? Scratches I understand, because sh*t happens...but dents!? :confused:

I'm one of those people who say "I baby mine"...which is why I don't have any dents.:D

But to answer your question, since the genius wrote "Resolution...replace display" my guess is that they will replace the display.

6. paul2241 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really do baby it, I have no clue about any "compression" honestly I don't see anything "compressed" that he was trying to show me, as far as the dent on the bottom, I had it sitting on a piece of copper pipe, that I didn't realize was on the desk when I sat it down at work, picked it up, and there was a tiny depression in the aluminum.

7. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Then why did you accept that note?

If they slept well and feel good they fix it, if they didn't sleep and are nervous they will say that you might have damaged something else...

thistle

8. paul2241 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to let everyone know, the status on the apple support page says that repairs have been completed and they're preparing to ship it back. I'm guessing they fixed the sleep problem, and replaced the screen. The genius said that they would call if a requote was needed, and I received no calls.

Thanks to everyone for their insight, I'll let you know how it looks when I get it back.

9. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Or they just said "repairs completed" and are shipping it back to you in the same condition. Here's to hoping thats not the case for you!

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They usually call if they didn't think it was going to be fixed under warranty.

11. paul2241 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just wanted to let everyone know that I got my mpb back this morning with the screen fixed, and some other parts replaced. I'm wondering if anyone knows what these parts are.

646-0311 Video Display Panel Color-incorrect/missing colors (obvously screen)
    603-9931 Hinge Assembly Enclosure-Mechanical/Cosmetic Damaged
    603-9930 Hinge Assembly Enclosure-Mechanical/Cosmetic Damaged
    I'm just wondering if there was something else wrong or do they replace the hinges everytime they do a display replacement.

12. paul2241 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to reply with an update, my computer came back to me with the sleep issue still there, they took it back in and did the repair in store this time, it was a faulty sleep switch, and in order to replace it, they had to replace the entire bottom case, I dropped it off thursday night, and by about 3 EST, they called me to pick it up, I can't be happier with the service that I received from the store, phone support, and applecare.
    Thanks for all your help on the boards also.

13. paul2241 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to update, the computer has been in and out of the apple store 4 additional times with sleep wake issues. They have replaced the LCD, the LCD housing clamshell lid, the top case and bottom case, the logic board, and the left I/O board, to no avail (clamshell mode either won't work, or the display stays lit while lid closed, a very dim sleep light, and no wake upon opening lid) They have finally decided to replace my computer.I've been without a computer for quite a few weeks now, I'm just wondering if anyone else has been through this process, and how long it took for the store to receive the replacement, and anyone have any ideas to what I will get in replacement to mine (17" mpb, 2.33 ghz, 3 gb ram, 100 gb 7200 rpm HDD, glossy) I'm guessing they don't still have those as this was purchased in april of 07. Obvously nobody knows for sure, but it's interesting to see what people think.

Thanks

14. be300test macrumors member

it will be replaced with a identical spec book, you will get a unibody 17", they wont hand you another 17" 1st gen.

15. paul2241 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just wanted to let everyone know that Apple has replaced my computer with a new unibody 17" and boy is it beautiful. Thanks to all that helped me out.

16. AR15MBP macrumors regular

Is this were the case, the status update would be "no problem found." If it says something was repaired it means some work was done. Just pointing this out in case someone wonders that same thing when searching the forum.

I had a faint shadow develop in the bottom center of the screen. It wasn't that dark, but it was noticeable when you had a white background. The genius saw the issue after taking it to a darker part of the store, and my screen was replaced with a perfect lcd with little to no backlight bleed. Needless to say I'm very happy.

Congrats on your new 17".