MBP being slow.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macdeez, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Macdeez macrumors member

Ever since I installed VMWare Fusion my MBP has been becoming slower and slower. Every time I try to start up a program it takes a while longer than its supposed to and usually gets stuck sometimes when I have too many programs open. And every time I restart or boot up my MBP it gives me this white loading screen with a bar that fills up to the max like its updating, it takes at least 3 minutes to get through that screen. This is a 2011 i7 13" MBP which should be pretty fast. I've never had this problem before and I don't know what's wrong. I really think its the VMWare Fusion but after I uninstalled it, the MBP was still doing the same things.
    Help please :(

Thank you :)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

We need more info to help you. We can't do much more than stab in the dark with the info you gave us.

What version of OS X are you running?

What model macbook pro, generation if possible?

How much ram do you have?

Is there much disk space left?

Any other odditites lately?

3. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Here's the information you asked for :

1. Snow Leopard 10.6.8
    2. 2011 13" i7 MBP
    3. I have 390 GB of HDD space left (I should have 430 GB but 40 of it is partitioned to a windows os i ran with VMWare fusion, and I have no idea how to retrieve that 40 GB)
    4. 4GB RAM
    5. Well i found a problem with itunes too, every time i shuffle through my music using the forward button it constantly gets stuck for a few seconds after every 3-4 songs.

If there is anything else you'd like to know just ask :)

4. simsaladimbamba

You just need more RAM.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

5. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Why would I need more RAM? I just bought this laptop 2 months ago and its been doing amazing ever since recently its been getting kinda laggy. I'm not running any demanding software... just browser, skype, itunes, msn and sometimes mail but that's all. I really don't think its a RAM issue..

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I have 8gb in my 13" if I start up parallels and boot into Windows it uses all 8..you need more RAM virtual's are hogs..your feeding 2 OS's

7. simsaladimbamba

You initial post mentioned using VMWare Fusion. Running a VM is RAM intensive and if you don't want any slow downs during that, you need more RAM.
    It is cheap nowadays, and you can get a 4GB module for less than 50€, with which you would have 6GB, which would elevate some lagging.
    When I upgraded to 6GB RAM, my machine was more responsive. When I upgraded to 8GB, my machine became more responsive again.

8. AFPoster macrumors 65816

VM should have at minimum 4gb of ram dedicated to it. I recommend if you don't want to upgrade ram do what I did and use BootCamp and you will see your speed come back significantly. Otherwise upgrade to 8gb like everyone says and dedicate 4gb to VM. I just ordered my 8gb sticks and should get mine Monday before I switch to VM from Bootcamp.

9. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

People did you even read his post, he mentions that he has uninstalled VMware fusion and is not running any VMs, so ram could not be a problem, 4gb of ram can never be used up doing the stuff he is doing.

10. Blondie :), Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011

Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Do you guys not pay attention? He says he uninstalled the software and still has the same issues.

When you uninstalled VMware, did you just move it to the trash? If so, there may be some files left over that are still taking up a fair amount of resources. Open activity monitor and type in "vmware" into the search bar, and see if anything comes up. If something does come up, kill the process and see if you still get the same errors

Sorry for the redundancy, your post wasn't there before I made my post.

11. simsaladimbamba

Good spotting.

Anyway, OP, how did you uninstall VMWare Fusion and what did you find out via Activity Monitor (the fancy screenshot I posted earlier)?

12. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

I uninstalled it properly using the .dmg downloadable file and i cant find it anywhere on the activity monitor, I even deleted the windows virtual machine thats in the finder. I tried deleting the partition using the disk utility but I couldn't find it there.

Thank you guys for all your efforts I really appreciate it :)

13. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Need to look at your activity monitor, after I updated to 10.6.8 I had problems but it was because of Parallels. After the latest Thunderbolt firmware update my machine went crazy, the login window was using 100 percent of the CPU, machine was hot, fans wide open. Like to never got it to quit.

The Activity Monitor will show you what is taking all your resources, post it for us if you can

14. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I had issues uninstalling my VM so went through a clean install, which ultimately solved my problem. If you have a backup, give a clean install a shot.