Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I just used a MBP for about 15-20 minutes today (more time than ever before) and came across something I couldn't figure out while using the trackpad:

On a PC, you can select something by clicking on it with the left button then WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE LEFT BUTTON you can do multiple swipes on the trackpad with your right hand/finger. Holding down the left button allows the right finger to be lifted up for multiple swipes or drags, which (to me) allows nice control of the item I'm dragging.

On the MBP there's only one (big) button, so the only way that I could figure out how to click & drag something was to click AND hold AND drag -- all with one finger and motion. This does NOT allow you to lift your finger for multiple swipes or drags, so there's not as much control.

Is there a way to click and drag with MULTIPLE SWIPES using the MBP trackpad, similar to on a PC?

Thanks!

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
I just used a MBP for about 15-20 minutes today (more time than ever before) and came across something I couldn't figure out while using the trackpad:

On a PC, you can select something by clicking on it with the left button then WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE LEFT BUTTON you can do multiple swipes on the trackpad with your right hand/finger. Holding down the left button allows the right finger to be lifted up for multiple swipes or drags, which (to me) allows nice control of the item I'm dragging.

On the MBP there's only one (big) button, so the only way that I could figure out how to click & drag something was to click AND hold AND drag -- all with one finger and motion. This does NOT allow you to lift your finger for multiple swipes or drags, so there's not as much control.

Is there a way to click and drag with MULTIPLE SWIPES using the MBP trackpad, similar to on a PC?

Thanks!

Turn drag lock on in system preferences.

danharper

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
You can click and drag.

Use your thumb to click on the bottom-left of the trackpad, then your finger to move the file. You can lift your finger while keeping your thumb pressed down. Exactly like on a PC.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Use your thumb to click on the bottom-left of the trackpad, then your finger to move the file. You can lift your finger while keeping your thumb pressed down. Exactly like on a PC.
Thanks, but I don't get it. How can you do that with just one button? (I'm still on a PC, so I can't try it till I go back to the store)

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Basically, you hold the button down with your thumb, like a normal trackpad, and move your finger like on a normal trackpad. Because it is multi-touch, it registers the difference between your thumb and finger.
Ahhh, gotcha. Cool. Thank you.

Would this work with a Tap (if Tap was turned on) or does it have to be a hard-click?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.