MBP black screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Delighted, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Delighted, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

This morning I wanted to turn on my MBP but all i can hear is the very slight hum of the hard drive. The screen remained black. I closed the lid and would be able to see the light on the side of the MBP light up. A this point I knew it wasnt dead.

So I troubleshoot, I began by holding down the power button to completely shut off the system, which it did. Then I press the power button again, and the computer magically came back to life.

My question for you mac gurus is how do I prevent this from happening again? does it sound like a hard drive issue? Logic board issue? I will buy whatever internal replacements it needs but I just dont want a repeat of this mornings problems cause I missed my bus.

Thank you in advance.

UPDATE: The power plug was plugged in and the battery indicator on the side was roughly half full.

2. Ole'schooliBook macrumors member

Perhaps the battery drained over night (left after last usage with <20% ish?)? Did you have it plugged in to the power adapter the whole time?

If the battery gets too low, the MBP will write the current OS state to the RAM and shut down. Therefore, if you run the battery down without knowing it, the machine could power itself down, and then magically spring back to life once it's plugged in.

Just an idea...

3. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

Actually I did have the power plug, plugged in also I checked the battery indicator on the side, it was half full. Good thinking though.

4. ThriftDiving macrumors newbie

I just had this black screen issue happen to me and couldn't get the screen to come back on. Took it to apple and they said it was the video card, that it would cost $310 to send it off for repair, and that they would fix whatever problems with it. Ended up being the logic board. Just picked it up tonight. Replaces that and some in/out slot on the side. $310 for all.

5. guspasho macrumors regular

I just found the same issue. It's happened a few times with my rMBP already. I leave it on overnight, come back and the monitor won't turn back on. Mine was plugged in all night and and fully charged in the morning (the light on the Magsafe plug was green). I could verify it was on by accessing iTunes via iTunes Remote on my iPhone. At least I have Applecare, but I'm not looking forward to having it sent off for repair already.