MBP - Blank Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 3runjosh, Dec 8, 2008.

1. 3runjosh macrumors member

Hi I've had my MBP a little over a year (No Apple Care (ouch)) anyways I left it to get a drink yesterday and came back to find it had gone to sleep (sleep timer on 5 minutes) so I pressed any buttons moved the mouse and nothing. I turned the computer off by holding down the power button and back on and nothing. Since this happened I have not been able to get the screen to show anything yet i can hear the sound tone when lowering and uppering the volume. I have also tried connecting an external monitor to it and nothing. Would this be the logic board or the GPU and how much to replace the suspicious part? I was going to get a Mac Pro 2009 model anyways and I was thinking about just leaving the MPB alone and not bothering spending anymore money on it because it is nothing but trouble, the only thing is I have some important files on the hdd and I have tried target disc mode to another computer using Firewire cable and couldn't get that to work either. Is it possible to take the hdd and put it in a PC or something and grab those files i need?

2. rogerm macrumors newbie

rogerm

Try resetting the parameter RAM at startup and see if that changes anything.

To get to your files, you can start the MBP in target disk mode and connect it to another computer via a FireWire cable. The MBP will show up on that computer as an external HD

3. 3runjosh thread starter macrumors member

I've reset the Pram and also held down the power button for 5 seconds without the Battery in. I've also tried Target disc mode and that is a no go as well.

4. 3runjosh thread starter macrumors member

Just tried Target Disk Mode again and still no luck. I tried it on another computer and it worked so I know i am doing it right. I guess i just have to accept that it's the logic board that is gone if it cannot open target disk mode and pry the hdd out put it in something else...nothing to lose really

5. nuncupatory macrumors member

If it's a problem with the GPU, have Apple check it out, and they should offer to replace your logic board for free, even if out of warranty.

See here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

6. Optimus macrumors newbie

I had the exact same thing happen to my MBP(2.2GHz SR) two days ago and it sounds like your GPU has failed. Call Apple, they will fix it under the extended warranty for these GPU issues. My MBP is in service at the moment.

Oh and I'm not sure if you can get the files from the MBP with a windows PC because the HD is a different format. Correct me if I'm wrong. Try to use a demo of MacDrive, that might help.

7. 3runjosh thread starter macrumors member

OMG dude nice find

Thanks so much for linking that. I printed it and taking it to apple tomorrow for a free repair woohoo no more PC sick of it after 2 days already

8. 3runjosh thread starter macrumors member

Yeh i was connecting it to my brother's iMac thanks for your input though

9. rogerm macrumors newbie

rogerm

Worst case, if it comes to that, you can remove the hard drive from the MBP and hook it up to your brother's Mac via one of those $15 IDE/SATA to USB adapters. Works very well.

On a related note, this is also a good way to upgrade your MacBook(Pro) hard drive. I did this with my iBook. I pulled hard drive, installed a bigger one, installed Leopard, and then used the migration assistant to import everything (even all the apps) from the old drive that I hooked up to the iBook with a USB adapter. When I rebooted it, it was just like it was before with the smaller disk, apps, settings, everything. Very slick, you gotta love the migration assistant.

10. 3runjosh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your input, I took my MBP to apple today and they accepted it no problems at all for the free repair out of warranty :)

Once again thanks to nuncupatory for linking me that website :D