MBP - Blu-Ray or No Optical

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ranviper, Apr 27, 2011.

?

Will Apple go Blu-Ray or No Drive?

1. Blu-Ray

14 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. No Optical Drive

29 vote(s)
    67.4%
  1. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Hey all,

I have been on these forums for a while now, and as I read through the MBP section, I hear and see lots of people complaining about the Optical Drive being in the MBP still, and people want it gone. I have a philosophy and /rant about this, but with some logic, so bear with me. If you want too. :eek:

Here is what I see happening:

1: Apple will keep the CD/DVD Option, and perhaps upgrade or give the option for Blu-ray. Lets not forget this is the "Pro" line, and a huge majority of professionals still USE DVD's and I'm sure would and could use/enjoy a Blu-Ray drive. I know myself I use my drive often still, installing friends dvd's, cd's, and watching seasons of shows. It doesn't use any HD space to use watch a dvd. Also, now that the MBP line is becoming SO popular to the average "hip dude," they too use cd's and dvd's often, at least around here.

2: If you REALLY want no drive, either get an Air, or put a little elbo grease into and take it out yourself and put in a HD. We all know it's possible, so do it if you're so set on having a pro and no optical drive. Don't be lazy.

3: Apple, being the money maker it is, certainly does want to do everything they can to make as much money as they can, so plausibly I COULD see them doing this (taking out the drive) just so people will spend more money on their external superdrive. But hopefully they won't make such a jerk move.

Anyways, end /rant. :eek:

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Pretty sure /rant means "end rant". So your sign-off is a bit redundant. :)

Anyway, the DVD drive will eventually be gone from the MBP. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But eventually it will be. Anyone that still needs one can buy an external one (just like how things happened when the floppy died out).

3. ranviper thread starter macrumors 6502a

ranviper

I would agree that eventually it will die out of course, but I think Apple, for now, would more likely make an upgrade to blu-ray, at least while internal drives are still limited in the mobile market, in regards to storing a lot of HD movies and the like. But again, all technology will be out of date in 5-10 years. LoL, :p

P.S. I love <3 redundancy...

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Apple isn't going to put a bluray drive in the macbook pros... there aren't slot loading drives small enough to fit in them, and apple would rather you buy or rent HD movies from iTunes than buy a bluray from best buy.

Sure you can take out the ODD, but the reason people want it gone from the beginning is because it would allow apple to redisgn the case making it slimmer, weigh less, and probably allow for a larger battery.

Apple is definitely going to be getting rid of the optical drive probably sooner than later, apple doesn't care to cater to those who are still using old technology... upgarde and move along or keep your current computer until you are ready to stop using optical media.

5. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

your right and wrong apple will never go the way of blu-ray.

but there are small slot loading blu-ray drives look at the sony vaio Z

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I agree with the first paragraph; and external drive makers will compensate and be compensated.

Re: the final paragraph - it's not old if all modern day software uses optical media. Adobe, Microsoft, Smith Pro, Maxon, etc, still use a lot of optical media. Indeed, doing a crossgrade for Adobe - that requires them mailing out new optical media because the download version won't work with the serial numbers (oddly, but that's what I was told).

7. ranviper thread starter macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Then why bother having a line of Air and Pro's. That's stupid, why then not just make an air/pro. Cheaper to make 1 line of notebooks rather than 2.

8. amarcus macrumors 6502

I'd be happy if apple ditched the ODD or witched to blu-ray... anything but sticking with that aging superdrive!

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you see it), I humbly think that the continued success (where sales records are broken again & again in each quarter/year) of iTunes simply means that there is just no incentive for Apple to give consumers Blu-ray drives/playback capabilities in the MBPs or even the other Macs. :)/:(

At the end of the day, it is all about maximizing profits. :D

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Your poll should have had a 3rd option: Stick with DVD/CD.

11. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

that and apple just likes sticking to what they want like the minidisplay port is the new standard :rolleyes:

or usb 3.0 wasn't needed? :rolleyes:

12. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

agreed

13. daneoni, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Intel won't have USB 3 support until Ivy Bridge*.

14. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

no, the current superdrive is 9.5mm, smallest slot loading bluray drive i can find is 12.7mm which is too big. Unless you know of another one?

Also, these are outrageously expensive.

Just because the software mentioned can be obtained on an optical disc doesn't mean there aren't other ways to get it. Digital distribution is the way apple wants to go as is evident by the mac app store. Software can also be downloaded and installed off of the internet. Seeing as MS is also looking to build an app store its a safe bet to assume that pretty much any software you need in the future will be obtainable without the need for optical media. Apple gives out flash drives with osx installed for macbook airs, other software can use similar methods or just be available through online stores, etc.

Not sure if you have seen the spec differences between a macbook pro and air but they are radically different, not just the lack of a dvd drive. Macbook pros are much more powerful and available in 15 and 17" sizes, the macbook air is an ultra portable. Taking the ODD out of the mbp wouldn't make it an ultra portable, it would just allow for other things people may prefer over the fading optical disc drive.

Ivy Bridge** :D

mDP > HDMI
    Thunderbolt > usb 3.0

Also, usb 3.0 is not supported on Sandy Bridge, it will be supported in the future on Ivy Bridge. Apple is not the only supporter of thunderbolt/light peak... it was developed by intel which is why they supported it on SNB, and did not support usb 3.0

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

lol

16. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

No optical. they will be able to make the Macs even thinner, while still retaining space for a second HDD/SSD. Boot times will be faster, as it won't have to try to read from the optical drive before booting.

17. Cristian macrumors 6502

Cristian

I see them taking away the optical drive before bringing blue ray.

18. amarcus macrumors 6502

Don't want to derail the thread too much... But what do you guys think the chances are of Apple EVER releasing a blu-ray drive (inc. external/Mac pro)?

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

slim to none. More likely none.

20. superericla macrumors 6502

Personally I could do without the optical drive. I would much rather have the space taken up by a larger battery.