Mbp blue Ray movie output to tv

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sgrrsh26, Dec 15, 2009.

1. sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but some comfirmation would be appreciated.
    I have a low end Umbp
    with minidvi to dvi what resolution movies can I output to my 42 in 1080p tv?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You can do 1080p and up to 5.1 surround by optical port.

Do you have a Blu-ray drive? If so, you have to rip your Blu-ray discs first with Make MKV, then you can play them on you Mac using Plex (or XBMC).

3. sgrrsh26 thread starter macrumors 6502

No I don't believe the mbp comes with a blueray drive if it does than it is a surprise (a very awesome surprise) to me.
    But let's say if I were to download (legally) a HD movie can my videocard handle 1080p really?
    I didn't think it could but awesome if it can..

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You can connect a Blu-ray drive by USB or Firewire, or replace the internal Superdrive with a Blu-ray drive.

The graphics card has virtually nothing to do with video playback (other than displaying the images at specified fps). Your video decoding is done by the cpu. Even a 2 ghz Mini can handle Blu-ray playback, provided you have an efficient decoding application, such as Plex.

You need to tell us what the video's container is (e.g., m4v, mkv, etc.), its video codec (e.g., h.264 AVC, VC-1, etc.) and bit rate, audio codec (e.g. DD, DTS, etc), and if it has encryption or DHCP. Only then can we have a good idea if it'll play it.

5. Mr Dobey macrumors 6502

um

Not true, for example a 1.86GHz MacBook Air can playback 1080p with no hickups, not because the processor but because the 9400M Graphics card.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The 9400 is used only if it's in an m4p container, in h.264 and you use QuickTime. The MacBook Air can play many Blu-ray rips without a problem using Plex, and Plex makes zero use of the gpu.