MBP Body Repair.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macdeez, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Macdeez macrumors member

I woke up today to find that I fell asleep while reading an article on my mbp, but guess what! The mbp was on my lap and while I was asleep I guess I must have moved and the macbook fell off the bed! :( :(

It has a minor dent in the bottom right of the body and the top left of the screen.

Is there any way to repair this? :(
    And if there is how much would It cost approximately?
    Thank you!

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i know it may suck but i would honestly just deal with the dings unless they interfere with the internals and performance of the laptop.

if it still works fine then there isn't much sense in spending a decent buck to repair it. just my opinion, although i am sure you want your mbp to look clean and and dent free, since you are posting this in the first place.

3. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

I really want it to look fine i just got it last month :( If its too expensive ill just put a cover on and it wont show but if it isn't something too pricy i'll go and fix it. Do you have any idea about the cost of repair?

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i'm not too positive but i'm guessing it will be a decent buck, you'd easily come out ahead but just buying a cover.

5. Lwis macrumors newbie

A repair will be the price of a new case and labour of transferring the components, you could do it yourself but you're looking at about $300 if you're lucky. I live with my dents (I have two near my trackpad, they annoy me) but if I had the money I'd buy a new case, which I don't.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Is it on the part of the case that the keyboard is on? And on the outside of the screen area? Those are exceedingly expensive parts. HERE is a link to the upper case. That one runs $300. And I don't even think you can get the case portion of the display on its own, so your best bet would be to try and buy a burned out display on ebay just for the cover. That will probably go for $300-$400 too, if you can even find one.

Not to mention that replacing the keyboard case necessitates removing every single component inside the computer. And to get the case portion of the screen, you have to open a component that was never meant to be opened. These repairs are not for the faint of heart of shaky of hand.

7. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Lol seems like too much work, i guess ill just live with them! I already put a cover on and its looking much much better! Thanks :)

8. oLNutjob, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

It's probably one of the biggest "gotcha's" of buying new, whether it be an automobile, fine piece of furniture or notebook computer.

That first blemish can put a major pit in the stomach, and be quite expensive to fix. In your case, selling it for $500. less and buying another new one would be cheaper than a repair. Current generation parts, even from recyclers are usually priced at a premium.

(But you also run the risk of the same thing happening again, and the real stinker.....
    If an unrelated component goes south under warranty, Apple may refuse to fix it because of "abuse.")

9. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

I made the mistake of commenting to a coworker last friday about how much more durable my MBP was than my previous system, which had a weak spot above the PC Card slots where the case cracked over the years.

Later in the day, I was looking at my computer from a different than normal angle, and noticed a gap. Well, there was a dent in the front base. I think I even know when it happened, a couple weeks ago, while it was in a case, the whole case fell off my suit case onto concrete.

Guess my resale value went into the toilet :(

And only 8 months old.

10. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

Hahaha its funny because the night before I was convincing my friend to buy a macbook for university because their so awesome and their resale value was pretty good compared to windows laptops, then boom everything gets screwed up :(

How much do you think I'd be able to sell this for later on?

11. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

about $300 in a year or so, if you want to sell it now $500 the most
    you are better off buying a new one right away

RF