MBP Boot Camp : Sharing files between OSX and Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by awegew, Mar 15, 2013.

1. awegew macrumors newbie

I'm getting a MBPr. I want to share some files between OSX and Windows. Is that possible with boot camp? I'm intending to encrypt the hard drive so I'm not sure if that will complicate things. Any advice appreciated.

2. awegew thread starter macrumors newbie

That must be a record. 500 views and not a single comment?

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

4. Still100 macrumors regular

Apparently you can setup Parallels to view the bootcamp partition but Im new to the rMBP so that's all I can tell you right now.

5. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

...huh? Macintosh HD shows up for me in Boot Camp Win 7. The problem is that the Boot Camp partition is read-only from OSX (this is fixable with 3rd party NTFS software, which I got for free) and there is a program called MacDrive for Windows that enables full read/write to your OSX partition from Windows. I don't know about encryption, but it is very possible to set the two partitions up to access each other.

6. MacKid macrumors 6502

The partitions actually can "see" each other, and you can pull files from your Windows existence to your Mac side at will. Doing the opposite is a little trickier, but if you have an external drive or USB stick of any kind, it can be easier than wrangling system-level user permissions or third party apps.

7. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

Yes it can, like MacKid said, your Windows partition is visible from OSX as read only and vice versa. Someone suggested MacDrive, which goes installed on Windows, and it works just fine, I have it installed myself. Another solution would be to have a 3rd partition and use that as a shared media/documents partition. If you choose to do that, I recommend formatting it to exFAT

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It depends on how you encrypt your hdd and what. With hardware encryption it doesn't matter as that is initialized after boot. File system level though will make it pretty much impossible. You can always use external stuff like flash drives, external harddrives, NAS or Cloud based storage (Dropbox, Skydrive).

In simple though without any encryption stuff.
    OSX can read NTFS just fine.
    In Windows with bootcamp drivers you can read the HFS+ partition just fine.
    It is only read though and for writing you need the various 3rd party solutions.
    To write NTFS Paragon is the best address.
    I never used a hfs+ write driver longer than the trial period. I didn't like it nor need it.

VM booting usually allows sharing anywhich way one wants. Drag&Drop or mounting shared folders inside the VM.

9. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Ok so how do you do it? You are saying my statement is incorrect but offer little insight on how you have successfully been able to share files between Windows and OSx , so huh right back at ya.

10. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

Boot Camp installs a read-only driver for HFS in Windows.

So, out of the box, both OS's can read each others volumes.

If you want Read/Write, you need something like NTFS-3G for OS X
    http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

or

MacDrive for Windows
    http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

You could also use a usb drive (format as exFAT or FAT) or one of the many on-line lockers (SkyDrive, Dropbox, etc) to move things around.

Or you could get a Mini Server. :D

11. awegew thread starter macrumors newbie

Read access should be fine. Thanks to everyone for their answers!