MBP boot question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sebseb, Apr 26, 2015.

1. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

I googled this but I cant find any information. When the macbook pros(specially a 2010 mode) boots (during EFI) , does it use the integrated or dedicated graphics?

Thank you

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Neither. At the EFI stage (and also when within Recovery), it uses software rendering for graphics.

3. sebseb thread starter macrumors 6502

sebseb

That's weird. I'm trying to troubleshoot this issue I have. My MBP gets patterns when booting up. That's from HDD, Thumb drive...anything. But if I bend the computer a little and get it to boot up, then I can use the computer but after couple of hours it freezes.

Recently when I told the computer to change to the discrete graphics, my mac would show that the integrated is in use.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

That's because after boot (i.e. the moment the mouse cursor appears but still at the Apple logo), it goes to the dGPU straight away (if present).

Looks like your dGPU has gone south.

Also, note that during boot, the EFI will check whether the dGPU is functioning or not (if present). If it's present but not functioning, boot will not proceed.

There used to be a repair program for your 2010 MBP for the GPU issue, but it is no longer in effect.