MBP boot time: 20 minutes!!! Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoeRito, Jul 18, 2012.

1. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

OK 20 minutes is an exaggeration , but it takes my MBP 15" mid-2011 model (MacBookPro8,2) a few minutes to boot up from scratch/off, easily as long or longer than my win7 machines. Seems each month its getting slower.

I have OS X Lion 10.7.4, only run ClamXaV on demand, run Onyx maintenance scripts every 2-3 weeks (deletes temp files, caches, rebuilds permissions, et al)... still sloooow to boot. Shutting down seems to take longer too. I regularly update my software.

Anything I can do to get this baby snapping back on like it did the first few weeks of ownership? Tx for the suggestions.:cool:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

First check to see what items you have loading at login in your user account

3. raazman macrumors member

It's inevitable to every computer out there, doesn't matter if it's Windows or OS X based. If I were you, I would reformat the drive and reinstall OS X after making a backup of all of your data. This is the best way to bring it back to day 1 speeds. Plus it's good practice as it'll clean out unnecessary build up of files that you don't use/need anymore. Most importantly, you get back the speed.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would get a SSD and put it in there as that will make it a lot faster than it was even when it was brand new.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That would certainly do it

OP, I have never had to do a fresh install of my OSX due to a slowdown and I have used everything since the very beginnings
    I'm not saying it is never appropriate, but I have never experienced a need
    I would look at other causes and options first

6. dbam987 macrumors regular

Did you run a Disk Utility's repair on your drive? Sometimes the permissions on some files get corrupted, which leads to inexplicable slow downs. Disk Utility can repair those. Wouldn't hurt to give it a whirl.

Edit: Realized you ran Onyx, but it wouldn't hurt to use OS X's Disk Utility to repair your disk as well.

7. clumeng macrumors member

My usual rundown:

1. backup all your stuff in case its an impending hardware doom
    2. Repair permissions in Disk Utility and verify disk
    3. Check how much free space you have on your HDD - if you are close to full it will slow things down
    4. Find out how many apps are starting on startup (Accounts preference panel) - you'd be surprised what get's thrown in there and remove what you don't need
    5. If still not satisfied rebuilt the machine from a backup or even better clean installs - This made a huge difference on the performance of my old iMac after a few years of downloading too much crap. While it's true this routine is more common to do on PCs it's a myth that Macs don't have to be rebuilt.
    6. more RAM?

8. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Fresh install + SSD will solve all these problems. My rMBP boots up in under 10 seconds

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Clean off your desktop; completely. Also don't really need ClamXaV.

10. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

SSD should help a lot. My 2007 MBP boots Lion quickly (30-40 seconds, I haven't timed it) on an SSD running at SATA 1 speeds.

Do you need to reboot so often? You should be able to go weeks at a time between restarts, closing the lid to put it to sleep.

11. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

More likely than not your hard drive is dying. Back up everything just in case.

12. JoeRito thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

Edit: Realized you ran Onyx, but it wouldn't hurt to use OS X's Disk Utility to repair your disk as well.[/QUOTE]

Is there really a difference between the Onyx repair permissions utility and the OS X utility?

13. dbam987 macrumors regular

Not that I know of, but you never know. Wouldn't hurt to try anyway to see if it does something slightly different that happens to resolve the situation.

14. kaioshade macrumors regular

kaioshade

Run Smart Utility on the drive. If there are any bad sectors, backup your data and toss the drive and get a new one placed in there.

15. rich121 macrumors newbie

Could be your hard drive starting to go, this is what happened to me before it died.