MBP + BootCamp + Fans??? Should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scott6666, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I need a quiet laptop. I tried a MBA. Fans like a Hoover Vac. Returned it.

I understand conversely that the new Penryn MBP's are very quiet. Does that hold true when running XP in Bootcamp? I'm not sure if the power drivers work as well in Windows on a MBP as the native OS X drivers do.

Is Bootcamp Windows XP on a MBP quiet? Anyone care to post fan speeds from iStat?

PS Don't waste time on the "why would you want to run XP replies"; it's mostly for gaming.

2. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

My MBP is extremely quiet, I had a great experience. I hope the same for you

cheers

3. conair360 macrumors newbie

Buy!

First off, if OS X isn't enough to persuade you to buy one, then Windows XP will be. I had a decent computer a year back, 2.0 GHz processor, 1.5 GB of ram, 128 MB of V-Ram....Vista Killed it

So, I replaced it with a MBP....Best choice

not only would I recomend OS X, but I would recomend buying a mac just for windows...

my friend spent $5,000 on an alien ware Tower, and my MBP ran Xp faster (and quieter) than his! I have to say, it gets a little hot on boot-up but then it cools down within the next minute....and have never heard anything out of my mac on windows, except putting in and taking out a CD

RECOMMEND IT!!!!

4. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Err...if you want to do gaming, expect your fan speed to ramp up. Gaming+No fans=f'n hot laptop. That's not good.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah the power management is Windows is a bit different than OS X. In Leopard, the fan kick in around 75 Centigrade, but in Windows it starts at 60.