mbp bootcamp gaming heat issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brokenrobot, May 24, 2010.

1. brokenrobot macrumors newbie

hey you guys, i have a question. i have installed windows xp through bootcamp on the mbp 2009, 2 GB RAM, 2.26 ghz, nvidia 9400m. the thing is the computer gets extremely hot when playing 'guild wars' on LOWEST setting. it is not a very graphics or cpu intensive game, i mean my old toshiba 900mhz celeron processor, 2gb ram vista laptop can run it without heat issues. is there any way to fix this? i have tried the smcfancontrol method, but with that it doesn't work for me because i have to shut off bootcamp.exe in windows and put the computer to sleep and then turn it back on in order for the keyboard backlight to turn off. those with mbp and windows xp will understand what i mean by that. please help, any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. brokenrobot thread starter macrumors newbie

did some tests on 2 different laptops. i am using a game that will run on both systems because the toshiba cannot play bioshock or anything like that. playing on full screen, medium settings. i played the same area on both systems. the macbook pro has nvidia geforce 9400M, the toshiba has intel gma 4500M. FPS on both is the same, running smooth no lag.

macbook pro 13in, 2009, 2.26 ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram, using windows xp through bootcamp. cpu temp after playing guild wars for 15 minutes: 83 degrees C.

toshiba satellite 15.4in, 2009, 2.20 ghz, celeron 900 (i made an error before, the chip is called 900, its not 900MHz though), 2gb ram, using windows vista. cpu temp after playing guild wars for 15 minutes: 56 degrees C. BTW this thing was $300.

so whats going on? should it be getting this hot this fast? i notice that the MBP takes a while before the fan starts up. could this be a problem or is it just that the aluminum heats up more? could it be a bootcamp issue? please help me to understand. thanks.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

unfortunately, bootcamp drivers are written terribly by apple - and there are always problems interacting with the hardware for some odd reason.

if you cant find a program to manually control the fans then you will have to put up with it im afraid :(

83°C isnt very hot though mind you, perfectly fine.