MBP: Bootcamp - No Audio in Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Alvito, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Alvito macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I recently got my Macbook, and shortly after playing around in Mac OS, I decided to install windows so I could start playing some games, namely Sims 3, which I had already bought the PC version.

So, I followed the Apple guide: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf

Once I got Windows installed, I loaded the Leopard disc to install the drivers. When it got to the sigmatel audio driver, it said something like "One instance of this application is already running". I can assure you there was only 1 instance of it opened.

Secondly, I tried to manually install the audio drivers by exploring the cd and opening the setup file. Again I got another error, I think it said could not find hardware, or these drivers don't match you hardware.

In any case, has anyone had this problem in the past? I'd prefer not to call Apple and ask them for help.

Thanks

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Have you tried running Windows Update to see if there's any drivers in there?

All of the drivers installed on the Bootcamp drive for me where also in Windows Update, and they were more up to date...

3. Alvito thread starter macrumors newbie

I will give that a try right now, thanks for the suggestion.

4. Alvito thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran Windows Update, and it updated all the various bug fixes for Windows.

Then I ran the add hardware tool, and there is a "Pci Device" that doesn't have drivers, is that the audio?

=(

What's next?

5. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

What version is your bootcamp (2.1)?

I installed XP yesterday on my MBP and had no issues. Maybe reinstall setup.exe off of your OS X DVD again.

Might worth a try. Maybe it missed something on your initial installation.

GL

6. Alvito thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I am using Bootcamp 2.1, I just bought the laptop a week ago.

I tried to reinstall the drivers again, it didn't work.

Should I delete my windows partition and restore my mac osx, and then try again?

7. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

Something went wonky. I can tell you I have too have MBP and it worked for me. Actually I am on triple boot (MAX OS X, MS XP, MS Vista) so I know it works. It wouldn't hurt to do a fresh install and have a go again.

Is your MS XP on SP2/3?

I personally used rEFit however when I installed the drivers from the Mac OS X DVD it too installed boot camp.

Have a go and see. No downside on a fresh install especially when you tried to to reapply the drivers.

8. Alvito thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Alvito thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the whole process again, this time it worked flawlessly. I wonder what happened the first time! :confused:

10. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

i had issues as well when i tried to load windows xp 64bit. once i started clean, i had success. I am now running windows 7 RC in virtualization.

11. DonM1 macrumors newbie

Alvito:

Good for you! Unfortunately I have exactly the same issue - but a reinstall is less than a desirable situation since I have installed a lot of complex software - I'd lose about two days of work - I can do it if necessary.

I am an audio professional and have been struggling with pro-audio firewire interfaces not working properly under Bootcamp. All are working fine under 10.5.7 OSX. I too noticed several improperly installed hardware devices and repeated driver updates did not resolve them. I may try SP3 before doing a full install.

Any ideas?

-D

12. Alvito thread starter macrumors newbie

You can try SP3. I'm not sure if it will make a difference. The first time I installed windows was with a SP2 CD. The second time I did it, was with a SP3 CD.

It worked with the SP3 CD.

You may have to bite the bullet and start from scratch, its better you lose 2 days of work, rather than a week, or a month. The sooner you reinstall the faster you can get on with your work.

Why can't you back up your work anyway??

13. DonM1 macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Actually it's not about backing up my work - I have installed about a dozen audio and video production software products with patches, plug-ins and other supporting content - about 12 hours worth of work - if it were a data back up that would be nothing.

-D