MBP Bootcamp problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Jun 12, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hi there. I wasn't sure if this was a problem restricted to my MacBook Pro or if it was to all Macs. If it should be more appropriately asked in the Mac Basics forum, would a moderator please move this.. thanks.

So. I was trying to help install Boot Camp on my brother's MacBook Pro, my friend's, and my dad's, which are, respectively, a 2.5GHz Penryn, 2.4GHz Penryn, and a 2.33GHz C2D model. And yet, with all three MacBook Pros, Boot Camp installs fine. But when I insert the Leopard CD to install drivers, the bar gets to about 95%-ish complete, then I get a Windows Bluescreen and the laptop resets itself. If I come back on, the Windows still runs, but still devoid of drivers. Anyone know what is going on? I tried searching Google and the forums, but couldn't quite find the solution.

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You have to insert the leopard disk to install the drivers. Just start up windows, and insert the leopard disk, and install the drivers.

Don

3. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's my point. Inserting the DVD, it loads up the driver installation, but as the bar reaches near-completion, around the time that it's installing the Atheros wireless driver, the computer flashes a bluescreen then reboots.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

by Windows Blue screen do you mean the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)?

Don

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Is this with all the discs or one of them; if it's all I don't know; if it's just one, then try another disc--possible the one your tried is defective. If that doesn't work, you should download the update from www.apple.com/support/bootcamp and get the corresponding version for your computer; also I believe all the machines must have Leopard for Bootcamp to work.

There is the possibility your Windows install is broken.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Come to think of it, the best thing to do, would be to try to reinstall windows. You could of had an error when installing. If that doesn't work, Your leopard disk could be corrupted.

Don

7. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

aye. the BSoD. I've tried it with 3 different leopard disks on my brother's computer, and I've installed windows twice on it, but still to the same effect.

8. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

So, has anyone ever had the same problem before? Or know how to solve it?

9. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

10. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Are you using the same windows cd for every mbp you try to install it on? if so, try a different cd. And what version of windows is it? xp, vista, etc?

11. Kaupa macrumors regular

Maybe your Leopard disc is not good? Too many scratches or something?

12. bs531 macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem installing the mac drivers in Windows on my new Mac Pro. I called apple support and they are sending a new cd with updated drivers. It is failing when installing the Intel Chipset drivers and giving the BSOD with a "Machine Check Exception" as the error message. I'm expecting the new disk any day now

13. bs531 macrumors newbie

The problem that I was having was caused by the fiber card that was in my mac pro. I removed the fiber card, installed the drivers, and then put the card back in and installed drivers for that. For your problem though (I assume you dont have a fiber card), make sure your using the disk that came with the MBP that you are having the problem with. I know the drivers are different for all the different computers

14. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

Try this...

Try using the original install discs which came with your macs, I struggled installing drivers on my April 20" 2.66 iMac and all I really had to do was insert the Restore disc and go through the same process as the leopard cd...I was really surprised it was so easy!

By the way, I would get the BSOD every time I tried installing with the Leopard cd.

15. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

@skythefly - that's possible?? I didn't even know you could do that. My MBP right now is a Penryn machine, and hence came with Leopard pre-installed, ie it didn't come with a Leopard CD. Do you guys think I should test this theory out?

16. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

I was very surprised as well! All I did was pop in the restore disc while running XP and the setup started up with the specific drivers my imac needed.

17. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wahey!! Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help.

18. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

When I tried to install the drivers from my Leopard retail DVD, I had the same problem as the OP - BSOD.

When I installed the drivers from the Restore CD that came with my MBP, it worked like a charm.

19. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

Anytime!

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod