MBP Boots Automatically When Plugged Into TBD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by safelder, Jul 4, 2012.

1. safelder macrumors member

I've recently noticed that my Macbook Pro (15", early 2011) boots (or resumes from sleep) automatically when I plug it into the magsafe connector on my Thunderbolt Display. A search reveals nothing. Does anybody else know if this is normal behavior?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I doubt it's booting from plugging it in. It's more likely it's waking from sleep. Do you have an external keyboard, mouse or trackpad attached, either wired or wirelessly?

3. safelder thread starter macrumors member

Bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad. I could have SWORN I had it in cold shutdown...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, simply plugging in any Mac will not power it on. Clamshell mode involves putting the MBP to sleep by closing the lid, attaching an external display, then waking the MBP with the mouse or keyboard. It sounds like that's what's happening, which is completely normal.

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

5. safelder thread starter macrumors member

My MBP unquestionably booted from cold shut-down when I plugged it into to my TBD after returning from vacation today. I have a sneaking suspicion, however, that it the culprit is Carbon Copy Cloner -- several days worth of backups hadn't run, and that was the first thing that came on after I logged in.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's simply not possible. You have to press the power button to turn on the MBP, unless you had automatic boot up scheduled.

7. safelder thread starter macrumors member

It is CCC. The scheduled backup option I have checked--which I had forgotten about before, largely because I, like you, thought what I was seeing was impossible--is something like "Wake/Power On the computer to run this task". I would have thought it only capable of waking a sleeping computer, not booting from cold, but whatever. At least the mystery is solved and I don't have to worry about a short in my system.

8. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I've had this happen when plugging in my FireWire HDD. I never put my system to sleep. Always Shut down. It's only happened once. No external keyboard or mouse was connected.