MBP Boots sometimes - If logic or main board bad, what can I expect?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dbit, May 7, 2012.

1. dbit macrumors regular

So after researching many threads the past few days, a trip to the apple store with some diagnostics, and further testing/swapping ram/resetting pram and smc, I've come to the conclusion that I must have a problem with the logic board or main board. My computer only starts up after about 5 cold boot attempts and/or some of the above processes. Once it's up and running it's fine. When it doesn't boot the drive spins up, the fans come on, but the screen/keyboard/usb etc are all inactive, and the latch light is a steady dim white. When the computer does boot it runs fine.

My question is, should I expect more serious problems in the near future, or is it at least possible that I could limp along for some months in this condition? I have the option to possibly submit it to repair depot for refurbishing, but if I could make it at least through some june update news I could make a more informed decision about what to do.

Any and all information, experience, or suggestions are much appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. dbit thread starter macrumors regular

The drive checks out under all diagnostics, disk warrior, hardware test, smart reporter etc. From several days of research I'm pretty sure it's something on one of the boards. I'm trying to understand if it could be isolated damage or if I should expect it to escalate.

4. dbit thread starter macrumors regular