MBP Bottom Case Slight Flex???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbman213, May 18, 2011.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

First, I have made sure that the two retaining clips are engaged! Second, I understand that the bottom case is made out of thin aluminum and logically should slightly flex under pressure...

I'm curious though, how widespread is this and should I be concerned? I know that the inside of the bottom panel is insulated, so in the chance that the bottom case does make direct contact with the logic board, nothing will short out.

However, I am trying to figure out if what I am experiencing is "within normal tolerances/specifications." I'm sure everything is OKAY... I'm just going through another one of my "OMG! Is something wrong with my MBP"-Phases

lol

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

3. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems to be more pronounced directly over the logic board. Is this a problem??? It almost seems like if I apply enough concentrated pressure the bottom case would touch the logic board...

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You realize on a 15" that its about 10"x15" of unsupported aluminum that is probably only .08" thick...

5. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, does your exhibit the same type of behavior?

I know exactly how "thick" the bottom case is... I have examined it removed from the upper case before. Yea, it's ridiculously thin...

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

it's fine quit worrying and use the computer instead of examining it ;)

7. blackshadow1998 macrumors newbie

until there's a problem, don't freak out. if you're feeling paranoid then back it up once a day.

8. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

From an engineering standpoint and the fact the aluminum becomes exponentially weaker as it gets increasingly thinner, I'm almost positive that some flexing of the bottom case is normal. There really is no other explanation...

And it's obvious from the design of the bottom case that it was probably designed with this factor in mind... The underside is coated with plastic to prevent shorting out the logic board, for example...