MBP broken, need price advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by englishteapot, Aug 16, 2015.

1. englishteapot macrumors newbie

Hi there, first time posting long time lurking and browsing. Thought I'd ask directly to get some specific help if possible.

Last night I was a numpty and spilled my glass of coke and of course, it went all over my MBP... in that split second I saw the screen go black and we rushed to do what we could. We wiped it all down and rested it upside down to help try and get any liquid out. We took off the back and dabbed down any liquid and left it. We even unplugged the battery from the motherboard after watching a video on what to do.

I know to wait a few days but it really seems like it's gone, so what I'm asking is what would a vague price be of trying to repair it via Apple? Because if it's too much I think I'm better off looking for a new laptop and trying to save my data from the MBP if possible.

We thought about taking it to a Genius Bar to ask them what was wrong exactly but the next appointment isn't until Saturday 22nd and I need a laptop before then. (Or at least be looking for one).

In short;

It's a mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro and I spilled coke all over it and it probably needs repair - how much would said repairs be? A ballpark estimate, if you will. I also live in the UK.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

If the logic board is gone its going to cost about as much to repair (from Apple) as a used one that is working. I can't give a very exact amount but its going to be close to the value of the Mac - unfortunately. Especially since its an older base unit the value isn't very high anymore.

3. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Since this model is being discontinued and recently onsale for around $900, probably almost cheaper to buy a new one. BTW no only is Coke bad for your MAC, but the HFCS is VERY bad for you!

4. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

A real bummer - sorry to hear this.

You'll want to disassemble the whole unit and clean it thoroughly (there are plenty of guides on how to do so)...leaving dried coke on your internals - particularly the main board - will almost certainly cause you pain down the track (assuming that it springs back to life).

My less optimistic side, however, leads me to point out that you might find that the costs can add up pretty quickly here...the logic board could be fried, the HD might be coked, and liquid may have seeped into the optical drive. Even if she miraculously starts working again, it will likely never run the same.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Buy a used one. It'll probably cost less than the repair.

6. englishteapot thread starter macrumors newbie

We've ordered an enclosure and taken the hard drive out and will see later if my stuff is salvageable. Fingers crossed! Also will probably look at buying a new windows laptop, will cost less than repairs and a new laptop is always nice.