Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spritey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Canada/Norway/USA
My brother recently bought my MBP, and a few weeks ago he had an accident where he fell on the ice back home from school. (The bruises and the blood confirmed he didn't just drop it).

Anyway, the screen cracked (yay... that's a cheap repair. Fortunately partially covered by travel insurance) and it's currently being fixed by a certified Apple Repair Center, obviously not covered by warranty. The MBP appears to work fine outside of the cracked screen.

However, I was planning on getting AppleCare for the MBP even before this happened in case something else fails not related to the accident.

Can I stilll get AppleCare as it has about a week left of original warranty?

I asked a guy at an Apple Store and he said yes, but he didn't really seem too confident. And I don't wanna blow over $200 only to find out if we need to use it in the future that it wasn't covered anymore. Anyone got any experience with this?

Thanks!

Agurri

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Québec, Canada
Of course. I bought AppleCare on the phone the day before my original warranty ran out. Just get on the phone and buy it there. It took me 10 minutes of my times (including waiting 5 minutes with the happy music.)

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
Can I stilll get AppleCare as it has about a week left of original warranty?

I asked a guy at an Apple Store and he said yes, but he didn't really seem too confident. And I don't wanna blow over $200 only to find out if we need to use it in the future that it wasn't covered anymore. Anyone got any experience with this?

Thanks!

You can only get AppleCare as long as your current warranty is still in tact. So if you only have a week left, you better get right to it.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Applecare for my MacBook Pro was $350. I bought it on ebay for $200. I was leery, but the number registered just fine, was and is acknowledged by Apple Support, and I just received my "certificate of coverage" from Apple last week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.