MBP bugs. Literally. There are insects in my laptop.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by esd, Jul 8, 2008.

1. esd macrumors member

There are literal bugs infested in my MBP. They are extremely small and move fast. I squished perhaps half a dozen before I thought to take a picture.

They appear to mostly be in the area around the hinge -- I'm guessing they're coming up from the fan area in there? They are small enough to climb down the holes on the speakers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would appreciate:
    - Bug identification.
    - Removal advice.

:(

2. Eric. macrumors regular

Interesting. How about putting one of those bug baits like they have for roaches on the palm rests or just by the notebook and see if that attracts them out.

3. esd thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm gonna leave a sticky trap on the keyboard tonight. But I dunno if roach traps would do it. They clearly aren't roaches -- they're TINY. The photo shows probably the largest of the bunch.

4. chariotofFIRE macrumors member

I would use the keyboard aerosol if I were you.

Your office desk is in the woods?

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I doubt they'll be entering your MBP via the speakers, cause there's a fine nylon mess under the panel. If anything, they'll be entering your system via the heat vent located at the hinge.

What I would suggest is fumigate your Mac! Perhaps, shut it down, place it in a large seal-able plastic bag - the zipper kind, you know? Buy some bug spray, the aerosol kind... and Spray the inside of the bag, preferable not directly onto the MBP. After which, zip the thing up and leave it for a while.

Umm.. I'd use a strong vacumme cleaner, to suck out all the insects - though leaving them in shouldn't affect the working of the system.

6. Ozz.Man macrumors member

I heard that the new Macbook Pros had some bugs that needed to be worked out :D. All joking aside, that really sucks. I wonder if theres a way to chase them out by placing it in the fridge or a freezer for a little while?

On second thought you had better not listen to me

7. esd thread starter macrumors member

My concern with bug spray is that I seem to recall the chemicals in it are not so good with certain plastics (like LCD screens, for examples). But if I spray the inside of the garbage bag and place the MBP gently inside it and seal... that might work.

I'm not sure freezing is such a good idea. Something tells me the MBP is more likely to die from that than the bugs.

And the desk is made out of wood, but is not in the woods. The laptop is relatively new, and I've noticed the occasional bug on the screen before. I wonder if they could be stowaways from China?

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

or try leaving the comp in an air tight bag for a few days to suffocate the little buggers...then get a big can of duster to finish the job

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

10. nial.k macrumors newbie

looks like they're ticks... ??
    I had something resembling them stuck between the protective layer and lcd panel in my iBook. :(

11. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Those aren't ticks; they're flesh eating... Oh, never mind :eek::D:D:D

I would recommend a ziplock bag and some yellow sticky cards - that should mostly seal them in and keep them from infesting other things (why have to redo this everytime they lay a new batch of eggs in your bedding) while the sticky card traps them out (without pesticides to ruin the finish or leave residuals that effect animal nervous systems).

12. Mirrorball macrumors member

I foresee an ecological disaster.

One more idea to get rid of them: light a candle, put it next to the notebook, cover everything with something (bucket, tray, baking pan etc) and wait for a few hours. The candle will burn until there's no more oxygen, and the smoke and the mild heat might help too.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Go back to Apple and tell them your computer is really buggy and you want a replacement.

14. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Those roach bait traps are definitely not what you want. They work by having the roach (or bug) eat poison, go back to the colony and die, and then be eaten by fellow bugs. And the cycle continues with each living bug being poisoned by eating a dead bug. Then you would be stuck with dead bugs inside your MBP.

15. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I hope those aren't bed bugs. If they infest your house it is H***
    getting rid of them. People usually pick them up traveling in their
    luggage.

Put one in a bag and have a bug expert like an exterminator look at it.
    They come out at night and suck your blood. Turn the lights on real quick and look around. They hide in crevases everywhere.

17. esd thread starter macrumors member

That was my concern too. I don't think they are. I think they're too small. According to the infallible Internet, even baby bedbugs are 2mm long. I would put my bugs at around 1mm or less.

18. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

They look like bed bugs to me... I would die if I ever see a bed bug when i'm sleeping. They say bed bugs are on a come-back.

19. esd thread starter macrumors member

Oh man, I really really hope not. I still don't think they are. I haven't seen any big ones. These guys seem too skinny and way too small (look at that F2 key for reference)

20. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

we got bed bugs a year ago from great wolf lodge.. those def. look to small..
    they look like the little gnats that fly through your screen at night if you have the light on..

can they fly?

21. esd thread starter macrumors member

No, they can't fly. Current theory is some type of mites. (or, less likely, baby cockroaches -- yeech)

22. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

that is..... weird:eek:. if they are near the ventilators they are in the same area as the cpu so... try to push your cpu to its limits like 70 C or something and they will be fried. (you still need to clean up the mess though, but they are dead;))

btw ever felt the heat comming out the fans? if you know, you understand me

Good luck

23. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Bug infesting an Apple, hmmm... may need to talk to a farmer about the next scheduled crop duster.

25. bamaworks macrumors 6502