MBP - Built In iSight Camera - Randomly turns on..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cubbie5150, May 20, 2007.

1. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

My MBP iSight camera (as denoted by the glowing green light) randomly activates, but it's happened only a few times, and only when I start up my MBP when powered by the battery (hasn't happened when plugged-in). I've run activity monitor when it does this, but can't see anything strange running... Any ideas what could cause this, and how I can make it stop?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Steve's spying on you. Haha, nah, probably not. What apps and widgets do you have installed that use the camera?

3. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

I have the same issue with my mother's MacBook. Although if I restart it goes away.

4. cubbie5150 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only app is iChat (which I don't use; have never even run it); no widgets, unless one of the default ones uses it; none of the widgets I actually use (all 4 of them!!) and have rrunning all the time uses iSight to my knowledge (AppUpdate; default weather; iStat Nano & a widget that shows keyboard shortcuts for special characters). It's not a major thing; if I do a complete shut down & restart, it turns off. It's just a pain...

5. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Reviving an old thread. My wife's new white MB is doing the same thing; the iSight light turns on after a boot, and if we run iChat as a test, the camera isn't available. A cold reboot, the light goes out and everything returns to normal.

It only has the factory installed apps loaded. Running top in Terminal or looking through Activity Monitor doesn't show any suspicious apps.

Anybody hear more of this?

6. BigD58 macrumors regular

Hah! Was going to say the same thing. Steve is probly saying to his employees "hey guys watch this hehe".

7. Emmett22 macrumors newbie

Im watching you!

Well there was this case a couple of months back when a guy who worked at a computer repair shop installed malware capable of controlling your webcam and used it to spy on teenage girls. He got caught and sentenced to prison!

So maybe its a copycat.....where is Sigourney Weaver when you need her!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's disturbing.

9. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Hmm. Maybe I should install Little Snitch and check for outbound traffic.

Thing is, the light comes on even before the MB is fully launched, and stays on continually through a reboot. I doubt malware would launch that fast, or keep the camera active when the power cycles.

I wonder if it's a bug with the login software: it has the functionality to control the iSight to take pics for the user profile before the OS is fully launched.