MBP Burning Dual Layer DVDs is Very Touchy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jalaska13, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Jalaska13 macrumors newbie

I have been trying to burn a .cdr file to a dual layer dvd using Disk Utility. I got it to work once, but I tried four times. I think that it must be very sensitive or something, because I can't figure out any other factor that affects it. Has anybody else run into this problem, and if so, what's your solution? I think it may have to do with vibrations of the disk drive or something, but I would be lying if I said I knew that for sure...

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I burned a coaster once when I slid my MB back a few inches on a table top. Are you leaving it alone on a stable surface?

3. landscapeman macrumors regular

I never had a issue on my MBP, but I have seen several posts about this very same issue.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've had similar issues with my Blackbook. It could never burn a dual layer properly. I got it to work about twice and it has never worked again. Now I use my iMac for all my dual layer burning.

5. Jalaska13 thread starter macrumors newbie

It'd be nice if I had an iMac. And yes, I'm doing it on a stable surface. To be honest, I think my dogs barking may have jostled it enough to disrupt burning. My guess is that because the dual layers are so close together, any vibration could cause the laser to write the wrong part of the disc. Just a guess

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't have issues with that. Although I only burn single layer DVDs at 2x speed:D But I don't use it on a stable surface... I use it on my lap!

What speed are you burning the disk at?

7. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Get Apple to swap the drive. Those go to **** easily.

8. Jalaska13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sir, you are a lucky bastard. I can't even burn regular DVDs on my lap, or they mess up. I am also doing it at 2.4x (the max is 4x). Interestingly enough, though, I got it to work a second time (out of five tries, mind you). I think what I'm going to do is try running them at night from now on when nobody's moving about, and the dogs are asleep, and thus won't bark. They can be ear-splittingly loud when they feel like it (and they often feel like it).

9. JacaByte macrumors 6502

The solution, therefore, is either to get cats or to get an external disk burner. :p