MBP buy now or wait for iPod deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Neub, May 8, 2011.

1. Neub macrumors newbie

I'm looking at buying the new 13" MBP, but am a little hung up on the price. Was going to do refurbished but would rather have the new model.

If I do go for the new one, does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should buy now or wait for the iPod back to school deal that they've had the last few years? Is there a chance that won't happen this year/when does it usually come? I'd probably sell the iPod to reclaim some of the MBP expense...

Last question: can anyone speculate as to when the new MBP's will appear on the refurbished list? I'm in Canada if it makes a difference, and have access to educational pricing making me think that maybe a new one is the way to go anyway.

Sorry for being long winded. Would appreciate any advice/thoughts from all of you gurus. Thanks

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

3. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

If you're not going to keep the iPod I'd say just buy the refurb now...the prices should be about the same, actually you'll probably save money this way, and the refurbs are as good as new.

4. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I would say you'll probably start to see refurbished models about 3–4 months after launch.

Sometimes it's longer if the supplies are constrained (they don't usually post refurbs when the new models still have shipping delays... we probably won't see refurb iPad 2s for a good while still).

5. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I would wait. I was going to wait, but my computer got damaged and I needed a new machine.

6. Neub thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? That late hey? ...not sure if I can wait

7. 100Teraflops, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Then check the Apple store 5-6 times a day. Also, there is not a pattern that Apple follows when loading newly refurbished machines onto the web page that are looking for a new home. I speak with experience. :D

Or, you can buy new MBP and bypass the refurb section! Do you like gently used merchandise? If not, then buy new. :) Furthermore, if you NEED a machine, then the logical solution is to buy it now. Hope this helps!

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd get the computer now. I had an iPod Touch 4th Gen about a year or so ago and liked it for what it did but found it... really lacking for everything that it could do. I had other players for music and also the fact that I had a Captivate at the time really eliminated any real use for it.

Of course if you can wait for it, wait because you'd be getting it for free.I just wouldn't wait a few months for an Apple laptop just to get an iPod with it.

9. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

As i remember last year the ipod promo came 28 may around that time
    And if you want an ipod free with your apple computer purchase it should be under educational pricing
    I am in canada and i used this promo on 2009
    This deal is for students who use educational discount
    The deal does not apply for those who just purchasing an apple computer

10. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

How long does the iPod deal usually last? I am counting on selling the iPod to help pay for the computer. I won't be purchasing until mid July.

11. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If I remember right, it starts in the bottom half of this month near the end, and continues until the Fall semester starts for most college students; end of August.

12. Calbretto macrumors member

Calbretto

I will be purchasing my new iMac shortly. I was waiting for the summer sale to get the free iPod Touch, but I am going to use my wife's discount (she works for a large company in Canada). Does that make me ineligible for the free iPod?
    I would rather have the discount than the iPod, but I was hoping for both. :)