MBP - Buy online or at the UK store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by northerngit, Feb 26, 2008.

1. northerngit macrumors member

Hi - about to put down the cash to replace my Rev A MBP. I'm looking at getting a few options added. Should I just order online and wait for it to be delivered or pop down to the Bull Ring store and get one built?

1) Online, how long from shipping date do they generally take to arrive on your doorstep?

2) Going into the store, how long does it take them to build and allow you to pick it up?

I know its not an exact science, just looking for previous experience.

2. weichengwang macrumors newbie

buy Mac fron store, no way to customise, but get your machine immediately

3. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

At the Apple Stores I don't think you can customize your mac... they only have stock models in. But you do get your machine on that day.
    Online store has all the customizations you can do, but you'll get it in a few days.

Oh yeah they have a choice of screens including the high def screen for the 17" as well but thats about it

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

What were you planning to customise? They might have some glossy models in stock but that's about it...

5. northerngit thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking at the following:

Macbook Pro 15inch
    2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo "Penryn"
    Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
    4GB RAM
    200GB 7200rpm HDD
    Matte Widescreen Display

Debating whether to get the RAM third party. I upgraded the HDD in my Rev A MBP myself not too long ago. To much of a pain to go through again, so I'll just plump for the Apple 7200.

Looks like online it is... shipping has just gone down from 4 to 2 days :)

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Yeah, the 2.6 option and will have to be done online. The 7200 HD's "only" £30 extra, so not too bad. Definitely get third party RAM, though - you can get 2x2GB from crucial or play.com for just £66, but it'd cost £240 through Apple.

7. Addo macrumors member

Buy it online!!!

Register with Quidco (google it for the address and more info!) and find the link for Apple and 'should' receive 3% cashback on your order. The cashback may take a couple of months before it hits your bank account and also remember that it isn't a guaranteed thing that you will get the money.

I just bit the bulllet and ordered a 2.6 Ghz 17" hig res screen and i'm looking at getting £50.95 back on my order ( I also found a discount voucher online somewhere which took off an extra £20 too - every little helps!)

*edit* I nearly forgot..... Crucial can also be found on Quidco so you could also get some cashback on your memory too :)

8. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I was in the Bullring store on Wednesday and they wouldn't/couldn't change the hard drive - they said that I had to get it online.

9. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Agree 100%. It's like setting fire to £180+ if you get it from Apple. You can also sell the 2x1GB sticks on the bay and get some cash back.