MBP Buying Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HyperliteG4, Oct 30, 2011.

1. HyperliteG4 macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

I'm looking to solicit your advice on buying a new Late-2011 MBP.

Here's what I do: I'm a UX/UI Designer/FCP Editor/Aperture User, I don't play games. I primarily use my 2009 24" iMac for working at home (which seems fine - a bit slow but fine) but I am traveling more and working out of client's locations more, so I need something that can go around with me.

My frequent apps: PS 5.5, Illustrator, Balsomiq Mockups, FCP X, Compressor, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, VMWare Fusion (Windows XP / Windows 7 - testing web builds), After Effects/Motion (every now and then)

I'm trying to decide which 15" I need, although I know I'm definitely going to want the high-res screen.

Is the 200MHz and extra 512mb graphics memory worth $400? The HD upgrade isn't of any concern to me...

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. pingfan59 macrumors member

I would say go for the 15" that has the 1GB GPU. Running Windows 7 in virtualization will utilize the extra graphics memory along with your frequented programs imo. Also the newer Parallels 7 or VMware 4 allow you to allocate up to 1GB graphics rather than the 256mb in the past.

Here is some more info...http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro_Buyer's_Guide

If you want to save some coin, go refurbished and get the early 2011 with the 6750m and either 2.2ghz or 2.3ghz along with the upgraded display. That way the $400 that is making you decide will be decreased to maybe a $100 to $200 difference.

Also grab some kingston HyperX 8GB 1600mhz memory, I think it set me back only $95 and well worth it as it took maybe 15 mins to install ( mainly being extra careful with the screws )

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Actually, you're one of the people who probably WOULD benefit from the higher end 15". So I'd go for that one, or get a refurbished 2.2 or 2.3 GHz prior models as pingfan suggested. I would stick with 1333 MHz RAM, though, to guarantee proper operation.

4. HyperliteG4 thread starter macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

5. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Look seriously at getting the 17" with the programs you use.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

For my most graphics intense work, design & rendering, plus personal still photograph & video editing I use a new 17" fully maxed out MBP.

Before you dismiss it, notice it's only one pound heavier than a 15". The thickness is the same & the footprint only marginally larger considering the gorgeous hi-res spacious display it has.

Mine is easily portable and I use it that way. Not to be confused with most bulky heavy 17" laptops, this one is a true gem. Give it some serious consideration. I did four years ago and have upgraded at each refresh.

I simply cannot say enough good things about the 17" MBP.