MBP Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drtimjones, Jul 20, 2009.

1. drtimjones macrumors newbie

Hi - I have a late 2008 MacBook Alu (2.4/2/250) that I used for everyday stuff (e-mail, Internet, Presentations etc), I tend to take my MacBook with me everywhere however I now want to use it for work only and am thinking about getting a new 13" MBP for home use only (store all my personal stuff on including music/photos etc) - The question however is are the new 13" MBP's much different than my old MacBook Alu, I would be looking to buy the entry level 13" MBP so would I notice much of a drop in speed etc?

Any help/comments gratefully received!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm lost why the current one wouldn't work for work? Having two notebooks is usually not the smartest thing to do as bang for buck a desktop will outrun the secondary.

3. drtimjones thread starter macrumors newbie

The current one will work for work but I don't really want all my personal stuff stored on a machine I will use everyday for work that's the main reason, plus I prefer notebooks to desktops due to portability etc.

Thanks for your reply :)

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Why not get an iMac for the home? or for work?

5. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Seems like having 2 notebooks would be a serious pain. You'd spend forever trying to remember what is on which computer.

Just partition the drive and File Vault your personal stuff.

Now, if you are just looking for an excuse to get a MBP, buy away (although I don't think you'd see much difference from the MB you already have).

6. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

I agree.

7. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

I would recommend partitioning the HD or just buying an external HD and putting all your personal files on there. The whole point of a laptop ids for you to take to work and home. However if you want a secondary computer at home i recommend you buy a refurb iMac with at least 2GB of ram. MBP's are about the same price as the refurb.

Thats just my opinion.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I use a base Mini (upgraded to 4GB ram & 500HD) at home and my laptop for work and Windows gaming. I use Dropbox to sync the work files between the systems and it works very well. The mini is slower than my MBP 2.8 but more than enough for my work (so my laptop can stay in the backpack - unless I'm playing).

Occasionally the new Mini can be found for $499 on Apple's refurb site.

Cheers,

9. boston44 macrumors 6502

No big difference in the 13" MBP that makes it worth buying after you already have a MB Alum. I switched from a 2.4 GHz black mac and saw no difference in speed.

10. MacLover4491 macrumors member

If its for home use i would get the 15'' Macbook Aluminum REfur. Its much better with the bigger screen to use at home and is not so heavy if you need to take it out here and there a few times a week.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree with you; a 15" MBP is an excellent computer for home use (and comes with a superb screen) yet is still sufficiently portable should the need arise. Agree also that you should consider refurbs, if finance is an issue.

Cheers and good luck