MBP Buying for college queries

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chan2004, Jul 20, 2009.

1. chan2004 macrumors regular

Hello all,

I bought my first macbook last june in Zurich. And as expected became an avid mac fan:D

Recently, I got an admit to a college for higher education in Singapore. So, I was thinking about upgrading to a new 15 inch MBP with a dedicated graphics card.

My query is
    1) Is it possible to buy the MBP from applestore in zurich with a student discount for a college education in Singapore? if so, is it ok if i just show them my offer letter from college.
    Btw, which one will be better - buying in Singapore or Zurich?
    If I buy in zurich now, I will get student offers that will be there only till September 2009

2) If i buy MBP, i hope to sell my MB
    its a white June 2009 model. It has a small crack near the edge (a known problem of macbook). I don't have the bills when I bought it. So, is there any way, I can show any future buyer about the model date. Like, is it possible to check in apple web site anywhere?.

3) Also, how much will the value of a macbook depreciate?, i.e. for how much should i expect to sell?

4) I heard that apple has a developer discount. I don't expect to work with software that much. So, is it worthwhile to buy it if i am looking for the developer discount too?

5) Also, is there any way I can buy a new MB for my sister as a birthday present using the student discount. She is a studying in india btw

Hope to hear some favourable answers;)

chan2004

2. ShiryuX macrumors member

ShiryuX

1) Can't help there, I'd guess it's possible as long as you have something to prove you will go into further education (here in Belgium, there's a store that accepts my high school student card as long as I'm 18 years of age).

2) As I don't own a mac, I'd check the year in which it's bought and then do a right click-ish thing (I don't know exactly how to do it, a store manager showed me) on your desktop. You should have an "about" screen and then you will see the specs of your MB. Compare and you'll find out. (Dunno if this is any help to you).

3) Check www.mac2sell.net, put in the specs and see what price it tells you :).

4) Haven't heard of such a thing. I know that Students get up to 6% discount and teachers up to 8%, don't know much more.

5) As long as you have a valid student license, you can buy with student discount is my guess.

Hope it helped a bit, I only know real sure answers to 2 & 3, 1 + 4-5 I'm not sure but it's what I'd guess.

EDIT: Might want to listen to miles below here on 1, 4 & 5, he has the good answers I believe to them :p

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes it's perfectly fine to show your offer letter. Not sure how the taxes will work out, as far as savings will be concerned.

For this you'll have to show them that you're going to do something with software development, even if it's like a coding class or whatever. I htink you have to pay for the membership and you get a one-time discount.

You'd have to talk to one of the managers about this I think. You can only use your student discount for one machine per academic year- you can probably convince them that they should give you the discount for your sister if you can also provide proof of current enrollment for her.

4. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

You can search your serial number on Apple's website and it tells you your warranty information and expiration date, which is either one or three years from the date of purchase.

5. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all for the info.

now, its time for me to go to apple store and figure out the config of my MBP:D