MBP C2D/LED display freaking out!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zimtheinvader, Feb 18, 2008.

1. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

Hey everyone,
    I'm posting this in hopes of someone here shedding some light or telling me I'm not crazy. My nice, relatively new (~9 month old) 15" Macbook Pro (Core2Duo, Nvidia/LED Display/OS10.4.11, everything factory -never opened) is having major issues with the screen. When it wakes from sleep sometimes it totally freaks out, the bottom 3/4 of the display get, um, freaky, like the picture stutters or gets replaced by a grey box, or the upper part gets mirrored oddly on the bottom, or lines come across the screen. I will try to attach a picture. This has just been going on for about a week. It seems to happen more frequently and last for a little longer each time. The only thing I can think of is that it started happening after I took the train home, though the MBP was in its Brenthaven case and on me at all times. I simply can't figure this out, its never been dropped or abused or come in contact with any moisture....?? Like I said, this is an intermittant problem, like it will occur for 1-2 minutes then the display will flash a bit, then it will be (apparently) fine for days. Also, it seems to stop if I rest my palms next to the trackpad though this could just be a coincidence. I have Applecare, will they believe me if I tell them this or show them pictures, even though I cannot seem to replicate the problem or predict it? I am starting to get worried since this is my only computer and I am a research student. Anyone help??

Attached Files:

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

3. zimtheinvader thread starter macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

but what if I can't replicate it or make it do it there? it only seems to do it randomly

4. DocSmitty macrumors regular

They may believe you but without seeing it happen it can be difficult to diagnose. Do take the pictures with you, as it may be something they know of already.

5. moworks2 macrumors member

try to take a screen shot when it happens...save it to show 'em...

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

A screenshot will probably show what the screen should be displaying, not what this hardware failure produces.

7. overcast macrumors 6502a

A screenshot with an actual camera. You knew what he meant.

8. tsincaat macrumors member

Yeah, so take a few pictures with your camera of the Laptop screen.

9. notatrumpetpro macrumors member

Does anyone know what is wrong? Is it the LCD or the LCD Inverter?