MBP cannot detect external display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PNayo92, Jul 20, 2011.

1. PNayo92 macrumors member

I have a 32" Insignia television that I am trying to connect to my new 15" MBP (2011) via mini-display port to HDMI cable. Unfortunately, the connection seems unable to work, and my macbook cannot detect an external display. I have done the following:

-My computer is plugged in to an outlet
    -I rebooted my computer with and without the cable in it
    -I can switch my television's "Tuner Mode" from cable to air. I tried both, and now i am on cable. Neither seem to work.
    -I cannot find a setting on my television's menu which will change the input other than "cable" and "air"
    -The only resolution given by my tv is the "max resolution", which is 1024 x 720
    -There is no indication that either the TV or the macbook recognize each other
    -The Insignia tv says "No Signal!"
    -"Detect Displays" does nothing

any ideas or tips? I really want this to work :/

2. PNayo92 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, so I may have found a solution - maybe not, I'll be back.

3. Filipek macrumors member

Ik heb the same problem with my 13" MBP (2011) and my Samsung HDTV (40"). When I connect my tv with a HDMI cable to the adapter, and the adapter in the thunderbolt port, I get a "No Signal" message on my television and my MBP doesn't recognize a second displayer attached to it (even when clicking on Detect Displays, this doesn't help).

Any solutions? Tried all of the above as well..

4. Jexta macrumors member

Does your adapter work? Have you tried it with another machine?

I have used my mid 2011 MBP 13" with my 2008 42" LG LCD television without issue.

At the OP - Have you got another input device to try on the HDMI input on your television?