MBP cannot detect Samsung plasma Tv?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by d33f3r, Jan 29, 2012.

1. d33f3r macrumors newbie

I have a Samsung 42" plasma (NO HDMI, just DVI) and a unibody MBP 15" with a Mini-DisplayPort, i already owned a mini-displayport -> HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable, so i just bought a HDMI to DVI adapter for the back of the TV, plugged it all in.. didn't work..so i bought a DVI to HDMI Cable..and got rid of the adapter.. STILL didn't work.. WHAT ON EARTH am i missing here please?!? I usually pride myself at being pretty techy and have read various little snippets here and there about 2005 Tv's not being able to handshake with MBP's or something of that nature... it may even be a process of turning things on and off in the right order that i'm missing?!? ANY help at all please!?!?

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I don't want to make you spend more money, but have you tried the mini display port to DVI and then just a DVI cable.

3. d33f3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, actually i've just got back from trying the two supermarkets open this late... neither of them had anything for DVI.. but that IS the plan tomorrow :)

----------

I was wondering if its a specific DVI-I OR DVI-D cable for the TV model?? is there any way of knowing the model WITHOUT taking it back off the wall?? its HEAVY!

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Did the TV come with a remote control? If so, try backtracking from its model number (look on the back, perhaps with a magnifier).

That is, enter the remote's model number into google along with the keywords samsung plasma tv or samsung remote. If you get any hits, such as sellers that sell replacement remotes, then visit them and see if they list the TV models the remote works with. Then enter those TV model numbers into google and see if you recognize anything.

Even if this works, it could be wrong. You might find a model number of XYZZY-1B, but the real model number on your unit could be XYZZY-1C because Samsung happened to do a factory revision that year.

Or if the TV came with a booklet, the model number is probably on the front cover.