MBP cannot shut down, log out or restart

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by grahamnp, Jun 9, 2009.

1. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

My early 08 MBP has seemed to have lost the ability to do the above 3 functions. Pressing the power button does not bring up the shut down/restart/sleep menu and going through the menu bar and clicking "shut down" does nothing either. Pressing cmd + shift + Q does nothing when it used to bring up the log out option. It's only been like this the past few days, I noticed when I was prompted to reboot for the SMC update but OSX did nothing after I clicked the reboot button. The only way to shut down or reboot is to perform a forced shut down.

I've repaired disk permissions, repaired the disk, reset the SMC and the PRAM but nothing has worked.

Help please? Thanks.

2. erx7300zx macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. I've read that you can restore firmware to get the SMC back on track by following the instruction on apple site: They suggest to create a restore disk and hold down the power button till you see 3 blinking sleep led, then insert the disk to run a restore. Turn out, it didn't work for me, it's keep going to the login screen. Any Comment.

3. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Are you able to do a shutdown or restart using the Terminal application :

SHUTDOWN
    =======

sudo shutdown -h now

RESTART
    =====

sudo shutdown -r now

4. grahamnp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did try the shutdown and restart commands but when I typed "su" to start with it would not let me enter my password so the shutdown and restart commands did not work.

I had a spare hour so I ended up using time machine to restore my system to about a week ago. I've since performed the SMC update along with all others and it works fine. I'm still curious as to why this happened, if anybody has an answer I would appreciate it.