MBP cannot start without reset SMC and automatically shuts down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qqmarc, Nov 17, 2014.

1. qqmarc macrumors newbie

I had some water problems.

I could not start my MBP, but I managed to start it with resetting the SMC, doing the following:
    1. Remove the power line for 5 secs
    2. Attach the power line again
    3. Press shift-ctrl-alt-power.
    4. After 5 secs the MBP powers up

My problems are the following:
    1. If I shutdown my MBP, I have to redo the steps above. Meaning that I cannot use it without power supply. Because:
    - if I don't do step 1, the MBP starts up with full fan and shows no battery in osx. So my guess is that it cannot communicate with the SMC.
    - if I don't do step 2, the MBP starts up for 1 second and then shuts down.
    - if I do both steps, the MBP starts with normal fan and I can see the battery normally.
    2. My MBP suddenly shuts down while working. Sometimes I can work for a whole night and sometimes it suddenly shuts down. Sometimes it politely asks whether I want to shut down, but I cannot click cancel fast enough.
    3. I cannot put my MBP to sleep, it will not restart
    4. Probably unrelated, but I just mention it: my volume down key hangs. So apparently there's still some liquid in the keyboard.

My assumption:
    - Somehow the SMC does not receive power while the computer is not running.
    - I guess detaching the power line shuts down the SMC and then re-attatch it with SMC reset, will power it up again.
    - I guess when my MBP goes to sleep, also the SMC does not get power and shuts down the computer.

I read several posts (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1713315) and (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1713315) that it might be caused by corrosion around the SMC.

Questions:
    - Are my assumptions right?
    - Might any liquid in the keyboard cause a short-circuit that affects the SMC power? I assume the keyboard always receives some power to detect whether a key is pressed, even when the computer is turned off?
    - Might any liquid in the keyboard cause something like a "request shutdown" key-press?
    - Where can I find the SMC? I have a MBP8.1

Thanks in advance!

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You're most likely looking at a depot repair. Once something is liquid damaged, it's almost impossible to repair it.