MBP capable enough?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gimmeiphone, Aug 15, 2008.

1. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

After finally accepting that i cant really afford to buy a new macbook pro, iv done a lot of research and came to the conclusion i may not need the power i thought i did, so i have a questions regarding the slightly older models of MBP, specifically the 2.16ghz and 2.33ghz models, so:

• Can i still install 4gb of ram?
    • whats the biggest hd (storage wise) i can install?
    • could i still run the latest photoshop cs3 and after effects smoothly?
    • Can i run powerful (final cut pro) video editing software smoothly?
    • is there anything that i specifically CANT do on those models?
    • is there a huge difference between those older models and todays base MBP?

would be a real help guys if you could answer some of these, would save me a packet lol:eek:

2. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

I own a 2.33 MBP...runs Maya, FCP, PS CS3, AE without a problem. It will only *address* 3gb RAM. I'm selling mine in case you're interested :)

I think the newer models only have minor improvements, but still nice to have. The problems with the NVIDIA 8600 cards is a major bummer imo. I won't buy a machine using those gpu's. So anything newer than a 2.33 (merom)...watch out.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I wouldnt buy the 2.16GHz or the 2.33Ghz. Buy either the older 2.2Ghz or 2.4GHz. They can access 4GB or RAM while the ones you mentioned only can read up to 3.3GB. The 2.2/4 also have LED screens which are MUCH brighter than the traditional TFT.

4. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

:eek:oh wow i didnt know that about the screens thats the main reason i didnt buy a regular macbook because of the screen, looks like itl be a 2.2 then if i can find one cheap enough thanks guys

5. hhlee macrumors 6502

if you buy used 2.2 or 2.4 with the LED screens, careful that you get one without the known LED issues.

6. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

the striping issue? id only buy one if it had warranty on it, so should be covered right? do the 2.2 models have the multi touch trackpad?

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

No, we're talking the previous generation to the current one here. Those did not have a multitouch trackpad.

8. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

probably wouldnt use multi touch anyway the only thing id want it for is to tap with 2 fingers for right click (is that right:confused:) just seen one in ebay completed listings with warranty in mint condition with some extras go for £510 guttered :(

9. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i like my 2.33. the only thing i wish i could do is bump it to 4gb of ram. the x1600 is kinda dated these days but it still runs okay, and now that it's out of warranty i'm looking at hard drive upgrades.

10. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

do hard drive upgrades void the warranty on mbps?

11. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

you have to take the machine apart, there's no easy way to get at the hard drive, so i'm guessing it could void it depending on who you get at the genius bar. you could always swap the old one back in i guess, i don't think there are any warranty stickers you break or anything like that.

12. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

wow i think id be way too p*$$y to do something like that lol im thinking of buying a new ipod classic 80gb on ebay too, any reasons why i shouldnt? really need one for starting college next month just sold my 4gb (lol) ipod mini on ebay (for £50, not bad!)

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Nope not unless your daft enough to screw something up whilst swapping them

Nope as above, but your correct about swapping them back over should you need to take it in for repair, their are no seals or warranty stickers to break

14. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

iv have no clue about the insides of a computer and nobody i know does either lol so i probably wouldnt attempt it! i think im gonna wait a little while maybe the prices will drop a bit, hopefully if they do have an update/redesign then theyl drop more/become more available cos everyone will want the new ones! lol