MBP Case Gap After HDD Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rishi13, May 19, 2009.

1. rishi13 macrumors member

I was wondering if it is possible to have the non-Unibody MBP top case sit flush with the bottom after replacing the HDD. On a couple previous generation MBPs, I, nor my local Apple Authorized Repair Center were able to replace the hard drive without leaving a noticeable gap between the top case and the bottom. I would really like to put a SSD in my computer, but would not like my machine to have that terrible looking gap. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to prevent this gap, if it all possible?

Thanks

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

All that you have to disassemble to replace the hard drive on a unibody model is an access panel for the hard drive and battery. I'd say with confidence that you'd never be able to tell the difference after replacing the hard drive in a unibody machine.

3. rishi13 thread starter macrumors member

It's a non-Unibody machine. Thanks though.

4. emaja macrumors 68000

I did it on my MBP and while I was as careful as I could be, there was still a very small gap and I did indeed notice it. It is bother me at first, but as it was nothing major and I upped by meds, I got over it.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't recall having a gap on my machine. Just make sure you use something like the ifixit guide and put in all the screws correctly.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Ah, sorry! Skipped right over the word "non". I'd say it's possible, if you are meticulous in your disassembly and assembly of the machine. It's very easy to bend the aluminum as it's very thin and pliable, so use as little force as possible, distributed as evenly as possible. My previous MBP was a non-unibody model, and after having been opened by Apple to make several repairs it never had a gap between the upper and lower case.

7. pasko79 macrumors newbie

A suggestion for a little annoyance...

Hey I had the same problem at first after upgrading my HDD in a pre-un body MBP. I noticed that the gap is always above the superdrive for myself and others. There are 2 or 3 locks right above the superdrive that don't engage very easily and you might have to give them support by sliding in, for just a cm or so, a hard plastic card for example that you can use to exert support pressure and simultaneously pressing the lid right above. You should hear a click or two if you are lucky, and then the gap should be cured.

Hope that works for you.