Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I recently noticed this problem with my MBP. I made a diagram to illustrate this issue; it's a bit exaggerated, but it's to illustrate my point; the black is the computer; the red the table or surface; the top is the normal computer, the bottom is what my computer looks like:
7434b7a6.png

As you can see the base of my computer is touching the table, not just the feet. I find this an issue because sometimes there is crap on the table (at say a coffee shop) and I don't want the whole computer resting on it!

I also have an InvisibleShield, so it's also very grippy and I cannot slide my computer at all, which is annoying.

I just want to know if this is widespread or just me. I would take actual pictures, you won't be able see it.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
I had that once. It was the battery that had swollen, not a distortion of the whole case.

Take out the battery and see if it lays flat without rocking. If so, it needs to be replaced (which may be a warranty item depending on age.)

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
i had the same problem with my Rev. A MBP 2 yrs ago. Had Apple replace the top casing and the keyboard but the problem still persisted. After 3 tries, Apple replaced my laptop with a brand new Rev. C one which i sold. They have a serious design flaw with the placement of the latches (those magnetic ones) and the heat from the MBP is causing the case to buckle more excessively.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Whoa, I've never even heard of such thing.. until now...

I havnt checked all the mbp that I've owned but I can say the 15" that I have right now doesnt do that.. maybe the 17" does it?

It seems that the lower case on the mbp has warped due to heat.. I hope it doesnt happen with almost every mbp though.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
Wow!!!

I don't know way to say about that. But I would really push for a new one. When we pay this price, we want perfection. But I want to know what the temps of that computer is and others???

~Steven

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't know way to say about that. But I would really push for a new one. When we pay this price, we want perfection. But I want to know what the temps of that computer is and others???

~Steven

Just came back from the store; the Genius came and apologized (and the manager told him) that he couldn't replace the case because it's unlikely it's done by anything except intentional, which he doesn't think I did; it's the first time he's seen the issue. He said he would only replace it if it was affecting the hardware and I told him I worried about motherboard flex; he said he would run extensive tests and my computer has zero problems.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Just came back from the store; the Genius came and apologized (and the manager told him) that he couldn't replace the case because it's unlikely it's done by anything except intentional, which he doesn't think I did; it's the first time he's seen the issue. He said he would only replace it if it was affecting the hardware and I told him I worried about motherboard flex; he said he would run extensive tests and my computer has zero problems.

Long as it works~ :cool:

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX

Gah, that's awful service. This is clearly a manufacturing defect unless you've been sitting on the MBP.

If that happened to my MBP I'd kick up one hell of a fuss - sounds like you'll have to make a phonecall or write a letter to resolve this.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
You could always buy a new bottom case and transplant the parts over.

However, note that this is not a trivial thing to do and you run the risk of making a catastrophic mistake.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX

However, note that this is not a trivial thing to do and you run the risk of making a catastrophic mistake.

According to his sig, he has a brand new MBP. This issue should be covered at no cost to him under warranty, without dispute... besides, he says it affects the lid too.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
According to his sig, he has a brand new MBP. This issue should be covered at no cost to him under warranty, without dispute... besides, he says it affects the lid too.

I even have AppleCare and ProCare!!! :mad:

They said would do it for $250 + labor. Yeah right. I'd do it, but I don't want to lose my warranty.

Gah, that's awful service. This is clearly a manufacturing defect unless you've been sitting on the MBP.

If that happened to my MBP I'd kick up one hell of a fuss - sounds like you'll have to make a phonecall or write a letter to resolve this.

I wrote a nice letter to sjobs. Hopefully it gets fixed pronto.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
All that said and done, I think it's not so much as a permanently distorted outta case, if you know what i mean?

If you've ever stripped a PB or MBP to it's bare parts, you'll know that inside each and every MacBook/MacBook Pro there's a inner skeleton frame which is bolted to the outter case, near enough all the other parts are bolted to this frame. If this skeleton frame is miss allighed it could buckle the outta case causing a distortion as seen above.

I'm not suggesting it'll solve your case, but you could try resetting the position. It'll involve opening up the entire unit and removing everything from the bottom case, only then can you access the mounting screws for the skeleton - Personally, this should be left to someone who knows what they're doing and have done it before! There's lost of fragile components inside... last thing you want is a dead book!!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
All that said and done, I think it's not so much as a permanently distorted outta case, if you know what i mean?

I'm not suggesting it'll solve your case, but you could try resetting the position. It'll involve opening up the entire unit and removing everything from the bottom case, only then can you access the mounting screws for the skeleton - Personally, this should be left to someone who knows what they're doing and have done it before! There's lost of fragile components inside... last thing you want is a dead book!!

Yep. I would do the disassembly, but I want Apple to just replace my bottom because the aluminum is out of shape to the extend that spaces are showing between the top and bottom cases, optical drive is askew, etc.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I'm not sure resetting the inner skeleton would solve it, more over it could really damage your logic board if you try to unbend it.

On one hand, I do agree with the " as long as it works?!"
on the other hand, I would be worried when it would start to fail.
If it would be only the outer case that is bend, it wouldn't be that hard.
But I'm almost sure it wouldn't be able to bend the outer case this much without also bending the alu-magnesium skeleton everything is bolted & clicked on.

Wouldn't it be possible to go to another store? I did that once and it worked, had a flawed pixel and in the first store they gave me the usual 7 or more pixels or clustered ones and in the other they just said: hmm, that pixel isn't working. We'll replace it. Don't worry.
Eversince that thingy, I do all my business there, they have been good to me, and I have been a very good costumer to them :D:D:D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm not sure resetting the inner skeleton would solve it, more over it could really damage your logic board if you try to unbend it.

On one hand, I do agree with the " as long as it works?!"
on the other hand, I would be worried when it would start to fail.
If it would be only the outer case that is bend, it wouldn't be that hard.
But I'm almost sure it wouldn't be able to bend the outer case this much without also bending the alu-magnesium skeleton everything is bolted & clicked on.

Wouldn't it be possible to go to another store? I did that once and it worked, had a flawed pixel and in the first store they gave me the usual 7 or more pixels or clustered ones and in the other they just said: hmm, that pixel isn't working. We'll replace it. Don't worry.
Eversince that thingy, I do all my business there, they have been good to me, and I have been a very good costumer to them :D:D:D

Well I got a call from Apple. Hopefully this will be resolved. Then it's off to buying more Apple gear.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just came back from the Apple Store with a brand new 17" high-resolution 2.6GHz MBP. w00t!!!!!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Glad this got resolved :)

Thanks.

Glad they took care of you. Enjoy your new toy. :cool:

Will do!

Glad to hear it got resolved.. eventually.

Now I'm just paranoid the same thing's gonna happen to my 6 day old machine :D

Nah, I think it's just cause of the fact mine is a 17" slab of Al. :D

wow! was that the model you had before or did you get an upgrade?

No I had a 2.5/17 standard res. I regretted getting the standard res; wanted the high res; when the manager said he would offer me a replacement, i took the opportunity to upgrade by paying the difference (mind you the store only had the 2.6 w/ HR 17).

Technically, I could have taken the comp and return it for a full refund immediately after the swap, but i want a comp.. lol

I think asking for an upgrade is a stretch; getting a replacement was already one.

As with the computer itself, so far it runs cooler, no screen yellowing, zero backlight leak (I mean none), no squeals, statics, etc. Man this computer is as perfect as it can get; looks like they don't want to see me again.

only issues i have have are i can't transfer applecare; they issued a refund and i have to rebuy; also i had to rebuy the invisibleshield cause the old one is all messed up; i need trackfilm; good side is if they release the new one in 2 weeks i can go back and upgrade for free. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.