MBP Case Modifications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doubledee, Oct 24, 2013.

1. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

There are two things I'd like to do to slightly modify my new MBP laptop case.

Am curious if either of these could do any damage, mainly from overheating...

Modification #1:
    Over the past several months, I read somewhere that - for security minded people - it's a decent idea to put a label on the inside of your Mac in case it is every stolen.

The logic being that a thief would probably not know to look inside the case, BUT if they ever took it in for repair, it would be an instant "red flag" to whoever is repairing it.

I created these mini "luggage-tags" - about the size of your finger - that have been laminated. So image a piece of paper with my contact info on it, laminated, about 1/2" X 2"

If I taped one of these tags underneath my Hard-Drive - or possibly somewhere else inside the case - would that case any issues (e.g. Heat, Static Electricity, etc)??

Modification #2:
    I am NOT a fan of the new all-aluminum cases because they are FRICKING COLD this time of year!!!!!!!

Related to this issue, someone on here recommend a LEATHER Handrest that sticks onto your MacBook around the keyboard. (I don't remember the manufacturer?!)

I bought one of these, and LOVE IT to death!! (Keeps my hands much warmer!) :)

Problem is, the bottom-side of my new MBP is freezing my lap off in the freezing weather.

If I could get the manufacturer to send me a Leather Pad that was the full size of the bottom of my 13" MBP, and I adhered that to the bottom of my MBP's case, could that cause any issues as far as over-heating or anything else??

I suppose if I was back in Phoenix and it was 130 degrees outside, the extra layer of leather on the bottom of my case *might* add extra insulation that could work against cooling my MBP, but my guess is that under *normal* operating circumstances, it should make no difference, other than keeping Debbie's lap from freezing off!!

What do you guys think about these two possible MBP Case Modifications??

Sincerely,

Debbie

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I would not personally do either.

1) I consider my security priority to be the security of my data, not the machine. Hence... I use FV2, FW Password, and power-off whenever I leave my computer unattended in a semi-public place (like my hotel room safe or the trunk of my car). Protecting the physical computer is secondary. It is cheap and expendable... and if necessary, insurable.

2) Computers naturally get warm... so I would not worry about it being too cold. If it is really that cold in my room.. then I guess I would have to turn up the heat, or heaven forbid, put on a pair of pants. Personally, I like keeping my iMac, MBA, iPad & iPhone naked. I do not use cases... except for transport.

/Jim

3. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

Everyone says the new MBP's run "hot", but I sure don't see that?!

I always feel like my case is *cold* unless maybe when it was sitting in my car for the afternoon last July.

And once it starts getting below freezing outside, my case gets very cold.

BTW, I do wear warm pants. And "ambient" room temperature has little affect on an aluminum case, which acts as a "heat sink".

If I put a leather patch on the bottom similar to what I have on the palm rests, do you really think it could cause overheating?

Considering that I have left my MBP running for over 12 hours and the warmest the case ever feels is "room temperature", it sure doesn't seem like it would be an issue.

By contrast, this old white MacBook *does* get very hot after it has been running for hours, and it is almost the exact opposite of my new MBP.

Sometimes my old white MacBook can burn my legs if it sits too on my lap for too long.

Geesh, I'm going from a "lap warmer" to an "ice-box"?! :rolleyes:

Sincerely,

Debbie

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Debbie,

Yes... it is made out of aluminum, so an already cold, unpowered, MBP, acting as a heat sink.. will stabilize to room temperature. The room has much more thermal mass than your laptop... hence the room has more affect on the temperature of the MBP, than the MBP has on the temperature of the room.

Additionally, the laptop generates heat when operating. Yes indeed, the 2013 MBP generates less heat than previous models... but still... that heat will raise the "already room temperature" case to some new value above room temperature... as long as it is generating heat.

Hence... I personally think that it is a non-issue and certainly nothing that I would do. But if you want to put leather pads on your MBP... then I suspect that you will not cause any damage.

/Jim