Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdugan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
When looking at my computer in its closed position, i cant help but notice the left side closes all the way and there is a noticable gap starting from the center and increasing to the right. The case definately doesnt close in a level position. does anyone else's do this? I know it doesnt affect the computer really, but its really annoying. Also, the left hook definately comes down before the right hook when closing the computer.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
This happens on my powerbook as well. I've read of quite a few instances here where the same thing occurs. I just deal with it. It's like a 1-2mm difference.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
It just happens. My Powerbook did it also. The only real problem I have is that the screen does not tilt back nearly as far as my powerbook did. So when it sits on my lap I am not looking straight at the screen, and the colours and brightness are off.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
yeah this happens on my powerbook, its nothing to worry about though, maybe its because of the case being made of metal and expangding when the 'puter gets hot

Aramis

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
East Coast
The exact thing happened to me when I first received my MBP. The left side was relatively flush, but there was a noticeable gap starting from the center moving to the right. After a closer look, I noticed that the right clasp was not swinging down as the LCD was lowered (as there are magnets that pull the clasps down). I used a toothpick to manually free the clasp and cycled it a couple times. It has been working flawlessly ever since.

I was actually wondering if I was the only one that had seen this prob.

Good luck!

bdugan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Aramis said:
The exact thing happened to me when I first received my MBP. The left side was relatively flush, but there was a noticeable gap starting from the center moving to the right. After a closer look, I noticed that the right clasp was not swinging down as the LCD was lowered (as there are magnets that pull the clasps down). I used a toothpick to manually free the clasp and cycled it a couple times. It has been working flawlessly ever since.

I was actually wondering if I was the only one that had seen this prob.

Good luck!

maybe i will try doing that, although the clasp does come down, but not at the same time when the left one does.

thanks alot for all everyones comments

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
Same problem driving me insane! I have had the problem since I recieved the MBP.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
At least in the aluminum PowerBooks/MacBook Pros, there is a "smile" that is designed into it. When closed, the display should be closest at the center, then rising a bit as it goes out to the edges. I don't think the left side being lower matters much, as long as both latches engage.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
SpAtZ said:
Same problem driving me insane! I have had the problem since I recieved the MBP.

Yea, I bet it really affects it's performance. Notice how Photoshop runs slower? I wouldn't worry too much about it because in a couple of years it probably won't bug you as much. For example, my g4 titanium is about 5 years old and I don't notice scratches anymore. Hell, I don't even look for them! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.