MBP Case swelling near optical drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by podsorcerer09, Nov 21, 2011.

1. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

I've recently notice that on my 13 inch macbook pro, the bottom case is not fully flush with the side on the right hand side of the computer. I've check the teardown on iFixit and it appears that the only thing in that area is the optical drive. Is this something that I should worry about or attempt to fix some how. If it's a matter of taking off the bottom case and bending it a little that's fine with me, but if it involves taking it into the genius bar it'll be much more involved.

Attached Files:

2. zaxdude macrumors 6502

Could be the battery swelling....they've been known to do that. The battery doesn't necessarily have to be be above/below the super drive to cause it the case to separate in that area. That just may be the weakest point.

I'd figure it out quick - if it is the battery causing it you could be in for a much larger issue if it "explodes".

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

No, it's having a baby. Will it be an Air or an iPad? Who knows...

Seriously, either open it or bring it to an apple store/service center.

5. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

Yikes... Open it up and take a look. Worst case: something is swelling. Best case: your cover is warping.

Or, as Thundersteele said, your MBP is expecting. Congratulations...

6. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Please don't open it. Symptoms of a bad battery, opening it is not something you want to do if you're not trained to deal with batteries supposedly it could be dangerous.