MBP causing modem to reset?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eskelicious, Jul 27, 2011.

1. eskelicious macrumors newbie

I'm at my wits end here. My modem resets several times a day. I had a Linksys gateway that was doing this, so I called the ISP (charter) and they were no help. I replaced the modem with Motorola SB6120 Surf Board and a 5th gen Airport Extreme. Problem persisted.

Attempted fixes:

connect wired instead of wireless
    replaced modem and router
    Used different surge protector
    Plugged into different circuit in the house
    Replaced all coax cable and splitters coming from outlet

Nothing has helped.

Here's the real question. Is it possible there is something the Mac Book Pro is doing to cause this? I haven't seen the modem reset while using the Xbox 360. The MBP really is the last variable.

MBP late 2010 13" 2.4ghz core 2 duo osx10.6.8

thanks in advance for any advice

2. westom, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

westom macrumors regular

You are trying to fix things without first identifying the problem. Solution starts with facts from the server inside that modem. Especially dB numbers for signal strength or S/N ratios. Which side of the modem is causing problems? A solution starts after that answer is available. And that means numbers.

First monitor dB numbers to establish signal integrity between modem and the ISP. Answers here will only be a useful as numbers you first provide.

3. eskelicious thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply.

what would I need to do to monitor the dB numbers? this is a bit over my head, but I'm willing to learn to fix this.

4. westom macrumors regular

Go the status page that has those dB numbers. Then disconnect the internet connection. Do dBs drop to maybe a minus infinity? Or must you refresh the page to see no signal? Try same with that other software. Now you know more then the world's best expert on this. It is that simple. You learn if the dB numbers update automatically (probably not) or require you to refresh the page.

Leave that copy of the browser open. Use another browser window to do other work. Periodically check the status page for any dB or other number changes. Like every expert who knows only a little more than you, watch for a pattern. Changes that especially occur when internet is lost.

Why might the AT&T tech not do it? It may take some time to see a failure. You have the time. He doesn’t.