MBP CD 2.0 overheating issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrcarson2, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mrcarson2 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a mid 2006 MBP with the CD 2.0 Ghz processor. Lately it has been locking up on me which forces me to do a hard reset. I have been troubleshooting for months and have come to the conclusion that it is a heat issue. I installed smc fan control and istat menus to monitor the temp. With smc on default, when stressing the cpu, the temp got up to 183F/83C and the screen went blank, i did notice that the fans were up to about 1100rpm. Also if I open multiple windows and use expose, it usually causes it to freeze while it is at a high temp. If I run the fans at 6000rpm (max) it does not freeze and stays at around 130F/54C. Since my computer is out of warranty, has anyone had success getting Apple to fix it out of warranty for free since it is a health risk being as hot as it is. Also what can I do about this if Apple will not help me? Thanks.

2. madfresh macrumors regular

I would first contact Apple and see what they have to say about the issue. They may help you they might not, but it's worth a shot.

3. azharc macrumors member

At 83C fans should be much much much higher than 1100. I use Fan Control (it's different from smcFanControl) and it solved my heat issues with default settings. It keeps it from overheating in the first place. Some people here say that running it at 6k constantly reduces fan's lifespans.

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Running it that fast does decrease their life span, and they are not easy to replace. Anyway, try using a cooling pad. They're $20 and can be picked up at just about any electronic store.

5. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

For the fans to not be kicking in sounds like some of your system settings might be out of wack. Have you tried resetting the SMC by removing the battery and holding the power button for 5-10 sec?

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yes, it will decrease your fan's lifespan: It will cut it from 250,000+ hours to 50,000+ hours. Either way, you will want to kill your machine by far more violent and brutal means by the time it's old enough for the fan bearings to wear down. Your fine.

7. mrcarson2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input, I may give Apple a call and see about what my options are. Also I have read about others re-applying the thermal paste on the cpu/gpu/northbridge. Has anyone done this, is it difficult or will this fix my problem?