MBP change contrast/saturation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wolfattack, Feb 27, 2008.

1. wolfattack macrumors member

Hi,

This is not a straight up Glossy vs Matte screen question, i have read hundreds of them. Anyway, i am a graphic designer, and am about to purchase my first macbook pro. I personally like the glossy screen over the matte, but from what i understand, the matte screen is more accurate.

My main question is, is it possible to calibrate a glossy screen so it has the colors of the matte screen? It seems like the main thing is the glossy screen has more contrast and saturation than the matte, so is it possible to turn those down? I don't have a mac, so I am not sure. Hope someone can shed some light on the subject because I am planning on getting my computer tonight.

thanks a bunch!

2. wolfattack thread starter macrumors member

3. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

me thinks you stumped the idiots:p

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I don't see what the difference would be if you're using a calibration device (spider) to set the color profile, anyway. It still comes down to personal preference, I would think.

I use my MBP (with matte screen) for video editing - I don't think I could do it with a glossy screen.

MacDann

5. wolfattack thread starter macrumors member

yeah, good point.

I just feel like people automatically say "MATTE" whenever you mention graphic design, but is this a true statement? Does anyone on here do design work and use a glossy screen? Not to open a whole other can of worms, but what will the effect of the LED screen play on this.

6. wolfattack thread starter macrumors member

so no one knows about calibrating the glossy macbook pros? or are there any graphic designers on here that use the glossy screen? Sorry to double post, i just have a feeling there are people on here who could help out. thanks!

7. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I have a Matte screen, and my brother-in-law has a glossy - we both used the same Spyder calibrator and both colors look very good. I can't say they are exact because we did them independently so what our eyes see is different - but knowing that he is a professional photographer and how picky he can be I would say that yes - you can properly calibrate a glossy screen to use it for color work.

8. kurdt_the_goat macrumors newbie

I don't know about the glossy screen or calibrators, but i thought i'd just point out that my iMac G5 was for the longest time too contrasty. Looking in the display preferences, there's nothing there to change it. Absurdly, the contrast setting is located in the Universal Access panel! After finally finding it, and reducing the contrast, it looked much better.

9. wolfattack thread starter macrumors member

sweet, thats exactly what i was waiting to hear. I just bought my first mac! 17 inch macbook pro 2.5ghz, hi-res glossy screen. It feels really great to buy it with my own money too, I am 19 and have been working at a graphic/motion graphic design studio for about a year now, and this is my first big investment in my life really. Might not be big to some people, but almost 3 g's is a good bit for me.

10. wolfattack thread starter macrumors member

hey, i just found two shortcuts to change screen contrast on a mac! I dont have mine yet, so someone try this and tell me if it works....

To decrease your screen contrast
    Cmd-Option-Ctrl -,

To increase your screen contrast
    Cmd-Option-Ctrl - .

does it work???

11. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Yes I can confirm those two keyboard shortcuts do work. You can't lower the Contrast below the default setting it's at though. You can only increase it and go back down to the default. At least that's the way mine is anyways.

12. Scalion macrumors newbie