MBP: Changed hard drive, now black screen, no boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JLandis, Oct 14, 2009.

1. JLandis macrumors member

I have searched many black screen posts, but the symptoms seem to be related to various problems. Please help mine. I changed the hard drive on my 2008 Macbook Pro from 160 to the Seagate 500gb 7200 drive. It booted fine into the install disc. Transferred all my data from the Time Machine backup, then loaded snow leapord and all updates. I used the computer for the rest of Sunday and Monday evening. End of Monday evening I was watching Hulu Desktop. I left Hulu full screen, and shut the lid for the computer to go to sleep.

Next day, open the computer, black screen, no boot, chime on first boot after battery is replaced intermittent on each startup after, and solid white led on front. I can hear fan and a disc spinning when I put one in. But when it is a start up disc, it does not boot from disc, or at least that I can see from the screen as it is black.

I read that it might be heat...so I left it battery disconnected for a few hours. Nothing. I swapped memory modules to different configurations, and nothing. I also tried resetting PRAM, and still nothing.

Please help diagnose...I don't want to take this in for apple care now that I changed the hard drive. Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You still have the original 160GB drive, right? Put it in and send it to Apple, this sounds like a logic board failure to me :(

3. JLandis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that is what I was afraid of. Looks like putting the old hard drive back in is a task for tonight. After I take it to an Apple Store to have the logic board replaced, should I obstain from trying to upgrade the hard drive on the repaired machine? I know when I put this one in I was extremely careful and did not tweak anything or nick any wires. I have worked on computers before... I have also seen many have been successful in upgrading to the Seagatre Momentus 500gb 7200. Mine specifically is the ST905003N3A1AS-RK from Best Buy. Anything I might have done wrong, suggestions?

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I agree with post #2. Put the 160GB drive back in and try to boot from it. If it boots it sounds like the 500GB drive went bad. If it doesn't boot, return it to Apple for repair.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have that Seagate drive installed in my 2006 Macbook Pro which I got at Best Buy. I haven't had a problem with it and it runs great. However, I did not want to be bothered cloning my drive and taking apart my computer so I paid an Apple authorized service shop to do it (Tekserve). Well worth the service charge in my opinion. Drive is perfectly quiet and now I have more space than I know what to do with.

6. chrislewis85 macrumors newbie

OP, is this a MBP 'classic' or a Unibody?

If it's a classic, the symptoms you describe are precisely those of a machine with a failed NVIDIA 8600M GT (much publicized and in most cases repaired free within 3 years of purchase.)

The fact you've changed the drive is probably coincidence. I'd suggest having the machine looked at by your nearest Apple Store or Service Provider.

If it's a Unibody, still sounds like a logic board issue. A failed/failing HDD should never cause the symptoms you describe.

Good luck getting it fixed!

7. JLandis thread starter macrumors member

Hey, Thanks! This is an early 2008, pre-unibody. So, it sounds like it is the failed video card. I placed the original HDD back in last night and same symtoms: black screen, no boot. There is a good chance that the new HDD is still alive and never failed. I will pick up an external case to see if this is the case. If it did fail I will swap it out for a new one at Best Buy. I have an appt to drop the notebook off tonight at the Apple Store for repair.

It sounds like, after it is repaired I should proceed and install the new HDD with little risk of another failure, correct. Thanks!!

With all the talk of failed Seagate 500gig 7200 drives I was contemplating on swapping this new one out for a WD 5400 Blue, but maybe this one is still alive. I would be nice to know that this one drive is going to work for me within the 30-day return policy!

8. chrislewis85 macrumors newbie

No problem, I'd suspect the drive will be fine - you'll just be able to pop it straight back in when your Mac returns from the store repaired, and it will boot up as it did previously.

Let us know how you get on!