MBP Changing to SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dadioh, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Just bought a used OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD to install in my 2009 Macbook Pro 13 2.26GHz 4GB. This will replace my Momentus XT 320GB hybrid drive. Running Snow Leopard 10.6.4

I am wondering about the preparation of the SSD for installation.

1) Since it is a used drive I assume that I should zero out the drive to ensure I am starting from a completely fresh set of cells? Since OSX doesn't support trim I suppose I should at least start with a clean drive. I saw one review that showed OSX not showing the same level of degradation of a "dirty" SSD as compared to the drastic performance hit on Windows 7 (I hope this is the case).

2) Was going to use Superduper to create an image of my current drive and then write that to the SSD. Any issue with this? (I really don't want to go through a complete reinstallation of OSX and apps).

3) I read that I should disable certain features such as spotlight and sleep. Anything else to maximize the SSD experience on OSX?

Any other thoughts or recommendations?

2. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

1) Yes - Let me refer you to this thread.

2) Not sure - personally I'd do a clean install, but that's just based on intuition, not on reason.

3) With regard to sleep, I recommend SmartSleep. I really don't see the need to disable Spotlight.

4) I wouldn't worry too much about whether the SSD might slow down a bit or not - the issue is not worth it

3. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

2. Do a clean install. It made a massive difference in performance for me. I did a "SuperDuper" first... and wasn't pleased. So I did a clean install and it was huge difference.

4. Dadioh thread starter macrumors 65816

Dadioh

I used the Superduper method when I installed my Momentus XT hybrid drive and noticed that it would sit at a plain gray screen for about 30 seconds before the apple would appear. I reset my PRAM and the issue disappeared. Boots in 25 seconds now :D

Is it possible that this would have resolved the issue you had?

5. Dadioh thread starter macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Excellent thread on prepping the drive. I think I will use the PC program rather than jump through all those hoops. I have an external USB bare disk dock that I was thinking of using. My main server is a Hackintosh which also runs Parallels/Win7 so I might be able to use the HDDerase program directly. Or I do have a separate Windows Vista drive in that machine so I can boot into a pure Windows environment. Will do some research.

Will check out Smartsleep. Second time I have heard of it so worth checking out.

6. Macopotamus macrumors regular

Macopotamus

What is wrong with the Momentus XT? I just ordered one for my MBP, I hope it is good

7. Dadioh thread starter macrumors 65816

Dadioh

No issues with the momentus xt. I just got a really good deal on the vertex. There are some people complaining about beachball issues after a month or so. I have only had it for about a week. I will probably move it into my wife's MacBook pro.