MBP charger keeps blowing up plugs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vazza, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Vazza macrumors regular

Wasn't sure where to put this, so apologies in advance.

Just plugged in my 2 week old MBP charger into an extension socket and hear a loud bang and smelling burning, so quickly turn off the socket at the wall. Upon removing the charger from the extension socket there appeared to be no outward sign of damage. Thinking it was the extension socket, I then try to plug the charger into the wall socket but no light comes on and it's not charging the MBP...figured the plug itself (not the charger part) must have blown so change that with an old one I have lying around but again I hear a bang and smell burning with the charger not working again :eek:. Finally I've just taken it around my friends house and tried plugging it in again with a new plug and same thing happens.

Obviously the charger must be defective in some way for it blow three plugs? Taking it back to Apple to get it exchanged but now out by 3 plugs :mad:

Currently have my MBP hooked up to my old white Macbook charger, which I know is not suitable but have no choice as I need to use it and battery is almost gone :(

Just wanted to vent I guess :eek:

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Take the plugs with you too as evidence, and they might replace them.

3. Vazza thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks will do. I have AppleCare on my laptop still...is it worth giving them a ring even though the charger was bought separately later on i.e. is not the original one the machine came with (but obviously is still under the Apple 1 year warranty)?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd call AppleCare directly. I've had issues with the Apple store and replacing defective AC adapters.

5. Vazza thread starter macrumors regular

Think I might do that first, as I'm working late the next few days so won't get a chance to go to a store. What's strange though is that it had been working fine since I got it 2 weeks ago :confused: