MBP Charger - ok to leave plugged in and on??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BadboyHouse, May 27, 2012.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

Quick question - when I'm streaming music to my stereo from my MBP I leave the charger connected to the MBP and switched on (I might stream for a good few hours).

I presume that when the battery is full it wont cause any probs leaving the charger on and connected?

I think read somewhere that the MacBook charger will effectively switch off charging?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's fine to use your computer however you want or need to.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery will not continue to charge once it's full, even if you leave it plugged in. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers.

I sort of thought that would be the case anyway after I noticed the charger was cold when I unplugged it earlier - and it's been plugged in and on most of the day.

5. lexdiamonnyc macrumors member

I remember reading somewhere that it's ok to leave it plugged in and on all the time, just let it run down below 50% every few days to 'exercise' the battery........don't know if it really makes any difference but so far so good....:cool:

6. theBostonian Suspended

I'm not convinced it does make any difference. I leave my computer plugged in all the time, I've gone through 10 cycles (after 15 months) and my battery health is still 100%, the battery can hold a charge of 69190 mWh (this tends to fluctuate too).

So... Seems a lot of the battery voodoo is just hokum.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It does make a difference in the long run. The battery in your MBP needs to be used from time to time. That's why Apple recommends exercising the battery occasionally, even if you leave it plugged in most of the time.

OP, they way you're using it won't be a problem. Your battery won't overcharge. Just unplug it and let it run from the battery from time to time and you'll be fine.

8. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Yes, it's completely fine, as long as you unplug it every once in awhile to use it on battery, maybe say once a month or so.

9. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I leave my MBP plugged in all the time. It's 6 months old and has 3 battery cycles. I have no issues to report with my battery. After reading the info referenced by GGJ in his post above I'm fine with leaving it plugged in all the time and draining it every other month or so.

10. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

The battery will last longer providing you allow it to discharge and recharge periodically. I have two identical work machines, one is only ever used on a docking station and always powered and the other is used on the move and from home. The one always on the docking station has a maximum of around 10 mins of battery life whereas the one used on the go and from home still gets around 2 hours of battery use.