MBP Charger Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sauer228, Oct 12, 2010.

1. sauer228 macrumors member

My wife and I always leave our MBP plugged up when we are near a charger. This morning the MBP had been plugged up all night, but the battery was dead. I noticed the light was out on the charger so I went to take it out, but when I touched it it turned red indicating that it was now charging. It turns out it is very finicky and randomly stops charging. Anybody else had problems with their charger? It will be Thursday before I have a chance to get to the Apple store.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While a few chargers turn out to be defective, most are quite reliable. It could be that it wasn't completely plugged in.

3. sauer228 thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping this was the case, however I can replicate the problem by just jiggling the charger cord. It is almost like it has a loose connection inside, but there is no visible wear or tear on the cord itself.

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

The wires inside the cable are probably broken and as you jiggle the cable you are connecting and unconnecting the circuit.

This can happen from "twisting" the cable or wrapping it too tightly etc...

If you are still under Warranty bring it in and they will replace.... sometimes even if you are not underwarranty anymore they will replace too