MBP Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Simon 5000, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Simon 5000 macrumors member

When I use my MBP at my desk, I was wondering what is the correct routine I should follow with charging, I mean, should I charge it up to 100% and then let it drop to about 10% until I charge it back up again, or should I leave it charging at 100% and not take the cable out, maybe I should charge until 50% and let it drop? Just want to make sure I'm taking care of my battery since I am at my desk most of the time. Thanks.

I own a June 09' MBP 15''

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Not to accuse, MacDawg, for you are most likely correct, but doesn't leaving it plugged in kill the battery? (OP, don't listen to this. I'm asking a question that's probably untrue. Listen to Dawg). I just need verification because what I've heard is a little different.:confused:

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

While the "official" position in the links above says Apple does not recommend leaving it plugged in all the time, you will find that users have done so with no ill effects on their battery life. Many use it as a desktop replacement.

The more important (in my opinion) recommendation from Apple is to discharge it once a month to maintain it.

Others can weigh in on this if they like

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Oh, I see.

6. Onay macrumors newbie

Funny, I called apple about this exact question about a week ago.

The apple customer service rep told me that leaving it plugged in at 100 percent charge for extended periods of time is not dangerous to the battery like it used to be. Leaving batteries plugged in and charging used to create erosion in the battery because of the excessive heat it created. With the improvement of battery technology (read: lithium-polymer), as well as an improved system of charge management in apple's hardware for the new MBs and MBPs, this is not an issue like before. When the battery is at 99-100 percent charge, the light on your AC adapter turns from amber to green. This indicates that the charging is basically stopped and the computer is running mostly AC power. The battery has to be used in small amounts, because if the AC is suddenly unplugged and the battery has to go from 0 to 100 percent power, a power surge would happen and the computer's internals would fry.

But to make a long story short, apple engineers took the old laptop battery technology in to consideration and aimed to make a product that improves the experience of the general consumer. So leaving it plugged in will not affect battery longevity. It is advised though, with any battery, to discharge it fully once a month.

Side note: If you plan on leaving your laptop shut down for an extended period of time (a week or more), lithium-ion batteries are best stored at 40% charge.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So much for the "improved system of charge management." The quoted passage is just wrong, btw.

8. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

How so?

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Read it:

"...if the AC is suddenly unplugged and the battery has to go from 0 to 100 percent power, a power surge would happen and the computer's internals would fry."

First of all your computer is never plugged directly into AC to begin with. Second, the battery goes from 0-100% power every time you unplug the power cord. I don't know about you, but my computer's internals seem to be functioning just fine.

10. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

But the bottom line is it doesn't ruin the battery life, right? I want my new MBP to last a while and I can't go about wasting battery...

11. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Leaving it plugged in at 100% will not harm the battery. The only thing you can do that will harm the battery would be to charge it half way, unplug it for an hour plug it back in, unplug it, plug it back in, etc. (for short periods of time)
    I always try to run it down completely once it's unplugged ( a few minutes doesn't matter) but what I described will run your battery down very quickly.

12. cababah macrumors 68000

Actually that is probably better for the battery than leaving it plugged in all the time.

13. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Then go ahead and plug/unplug a lot over a short period of time. I have first hand experience with this.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Uh... no

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Oh dear, I'm confuzzled:confused:. So only if it is 100% do I plug it in, otherwise the battery will lose its health:confused:?

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is OK to leave it plugged in all the time
    Make sure you run it down at least once per month

Avoid repeatedly plugging it and unplugging it for short periods of time

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. Jota macrumors newbie

I don't know wheter it hurts or not the battery but when I have the mid09 mbp13" plugged for a week (12h/day maybe less), the battery indicator says It's charged at 95-96%.

It is like every 12 plugged hours 1% of the battery goes away. Like I've said I don't know wheter it could be real or just a misscalibration, but the first time I saw it I get quite annoyed.

Anyway, have to say that when discharging and charging again, I can reach again the 100%.

18. Maxpilot macrumors member

www.batteryuniversity.com

Avoid deep discharges on the battery. Do a calibration only when you have to. It does not hurt a lithium ion battery to be topped off. Lithium ion batteries do not have a memory.

19. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

20. cababah macrumors 68000

Just use the computer in a manner that suits you best..especially if you have Apple Care.

It isn't worth it being anal about something that really has no significant impact.

21. harodude macrumors regular

For one of my 15", after 2 years of heavy use, always plugged into the charger with battery in... Had 20 cycles on the battery, with about a 250mah capacity!

Apple replaced it at no charge :apple:

I know to take out the battery for now on, if its gonna be plugged in at all times!

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You do NOT want to do this
    Taking the battery out while leaving it plugged in is a definite no-no

It reduces the processor speed

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]