Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Hi All: First time to post but long time viewer.

I just bought my MBP and I have noticed unevenness once the monitor is closed. The photos below show that the left side is a little higher than the right side.

MY MBP

38542495sm8.jpg

dsc00095xa6.jpg

dsc00096zl7.jpg

MBP shown at apple.com

design_hero20080226.jpg

promo_buy_img20080226.png

So my question is, should I go back to the store and ask for an exchange?

Thanks.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
If you are unhappy, take it back and see what they will do for you.
There is no guarantee they will replace

Most MBPs have some slight unevenness due to the material and the size
For some, this is a huge issue, while for others it is not noticed at all

If you search this forum you will find this issue discussed multiple times.

Good luck!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

glassmen07

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
Yeah you're fine mine does the same thing. The MBPs have those latches in the middle so the ends tend to not be completely shut as oppose to the Macbooks and Macbook Airs, because they are sealed by a magnet the whole way around.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
... Macbooks and Macbook Airs, because they are sealed by a magnet the whole way around.

Not quite true. Yes, the case uses magnets instead of latches but not "the whole way round".

I think the OP is lucky, to only have a slight buckling of the top.
Some users I've seen have a somewhat warped lower case!

a4abt

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Miami
My MBP has the same gap on the left side. Nothing too bothering to me, but if it bothers you, take it to your local Apple Store and see what they'll tell you, maybe you'll get a replacement.

(Nice TV btw!! :p )

Verdanice

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
My MBP was like that on both sides. I just had it replaced today, I haven't looked at the new one closed yet - I wouldn't be surprised to find it's the same, although I've noticed that on this model (I had an SR, this is a Penryn) the hinge seems to be tighter - that might have some affect on the tightness of it and shows that some work was put in other than the internals, trackpad, and keyboard.

TheJayWay

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
mine is worse than the OP's, but I don't care, It works fine, if a little warm. I've put more scratches and dents into this thing than I care to admit, so a little bit of a wonky lid when its closed isn't too much of a concern. In 6 months you won't notice it.

glassmen07

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
Not quite true. Yes, the case uses magnets instead of latches but not "the whole way round".

I think the OP is lucky, to only have a slight buckling of the top.
Some users I've seen have a somewhat warped lower case!

Yeah I should have been more specific. That is one thing I like about them is the seal on the front of it.

PuppyLuv

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Alabama
I seem to recall reading somewhere that all the computers on Apple's site are just renderings, not sure if that's correct, but if so they'd obviously make it perfect and maybe slightly different from the real thing.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Exchange away but be forewarned that if everything works, no dead pixels, no speaker problems and the unit is otherwise normal, you may get one that sits flatter but has other issues.

That said, having had two MBP's, yours looks perfectly within design tolerances and not a real problem.

bigp9998

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
I don't think it would be worth it to exchange as that is a fairly common occurrence with the MBPs. Mine was the same when I bought it and I just dealt with it. It shouldn't get any worse, really (at least mine didn't).

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Lately there are a lot of worry full posts. I suggest you praying, just like some folks did at some USA gas station, trying to convince god to give them cheaper gas. I would suggest taking a hammer and slamming that thing with quick wrist motion. Should be OK after that, if not, just repeat procedure. :D:D:D:D

AMG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Thanks everyone for the comments. I have decided to keep my MBP since I have not seen any of the issues reported in this forum.
:)

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Good call. Getting other problems seems a lot worse. I have bottom case warping and decided to keep because of the fear of dead pixels.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
Mine is warped a bit but I never noticed until I read these forums :) Ahh well. I still love her.

Alan Taylor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
Mississauga
Mine was warped like that when I got it back from repair - only MUCH more noticeable. It didn't bother me though since I rarely had it closed anyway :)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Eventually, it'll happen to a so-called Perfect machine, the warping is cause by the material itself. Get yourself a WristMatt, will kinda force the lid to close more evenly... It'll making long haul typing a breaze too!

Mines slightly warped too!!
I don't really care much for it, so long as the system works flawlessly,
after all that's more important, isn't it?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
dont i have a big thread about this here?
anyway yes, you should demand a new one without any defects!

AMG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Eventually, it'll happen to a so-called Perfect machine, the warping is cause by the material itself. Get yourself a WristMatt, will kinda force the lid to close more evenly... It'll making long haul typing a breaze too!

Mines slightly warped too!!
I don't really care much for it, so long as the system works flawlessly,
after all that's more important, isn't it?

Do you know a particular brand? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.