MBP Choices For Music?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bassicmelodies, Mar 20, 2008.

1. bassicmelodies macrumors newbie

bassicmelodies

Alright, I've been looking around here for a while, but never said anything. Just to let you know where I'm coming from I running a Dell Dimension E310 Desktop with Windows XP, which has 2.8 Pentium IV Processor, 1 GB of RAM and a piecer HD. I'm going to be purchasing a new MBP in about two weeks and I'm still kinda iffy about a few issues. I'm going to be using the laptop for musical compositions and synthesis along with live performances, which means that I'll have a lot of sounds stored on hard drives that I'll need quick access to. So I was planning on getting a 17" MBP with the 200GB @ 7200RPM HD. I'm getting the stock RAM and upgrading it myself because from what my wallet tells me and everyone else's opinion states that its the best option. My main question is about the processor. I was planning on getting the 2.6 but from what people are saying it might not be worth the extra $225 to get it. My main concern is that there is as little lag as possible because of the live factor. I'm using the computer as an instrument. But will the 4 gigs of RAM and the HD take care of what I'm worried about, or should I just fork out the 225 and get the better processor? Then just for kicks I'll through in that I'm getting the LED Widescreen HD Monitor. Either way I'm very excited to leave what I have now and move to a Mac. Just looking for some feedback. Thanks for all the information.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You really won't notice a 100Mhz difference on each core. Stick with the 2.5

3. NamisloC macrumors newbie

I'm a music composition major and I run Sibelius 5 with Kontakt Player 2 (anywhere up to maxed out 32 voices) and my Gen. 1, 15" MBP 2.16GHz with 1gb RAM does me just fine. However I am about to upgrade the RAM and the HDD for some better performance when doing multiple tasks. If you have the money for that 17" beast, go for it. But if you just need the bare essentials, don't be afraid to get 15" 2.5GHz, it'll do you justice!

4. celticrogues macrumors newbie